Fortress

by Becca Abbott

Part 13

"I thought we were going to live in Midas. We'd have this really great condo where I'd never have to cook 'cause we'd just call down to the kitchen, you know? Unlimited air and lots of water. And space – everything would be spacious and airy." Els' voice was wistful. He sighed.

"Sorry I ruined your plans." Riki looked down on the strawberry head. Els was seated beside his bed, recovering from his latest "lesson."

"Oh, that's all right. It's not that bad here. Actually, it's kind of interesting. This place is really old and mysterious. I've still gotten to see all kinds of stuff I've never seen before, like snow. Stuff's a lot cheaper here, too. I can get twice as many pen colors now with my allowance."

"You get an allowance?" Riki resisted the urge to pluck a tendril of that long, fine hair and wind it around his finger.

"Uh-huh." Picking up the towel, the youth dabbed at his face again.

Their latest session had been electric. The kid was astonishing. Just getting him to go with his fantasies had been the key. As long as Els could imagine himself with his adored master, the pet was as breath-taking a slut as could be imagined. It was getting harder and harder for Riki to keep his hands to himself.

"That's pretty good. Most masters don't give their pets money."

"Draco's not like most masters." Els smiled.

Riki had discovered right away that, in Els' eyes, Draco was perfect. Not only was the Blondie as beautiful as an angel, but he had the wisdom of the gods and the courage and honor of a celestial warrior.

"Does your master give you an allowance?" asked the boy.

"I get a salary."

Els twisted around, surprised. "Really? A real salary?"

"I manage his household and a few other accounts." Riki didn't want to talk about Iason. There had been no more word of him since he'd gone into the Wasteland. In fact, according to the pet, it was becoming a matter of some concern to the Templars. The chip was still giving off a strong signal, though.

"Have you tried out any of your new tricks on Draco?" Riki asked now.

Els jumped up. Riki swallowed and averted his eyes from the slim, graceful form.

"Yeah! He was really impressed. He complimented me a lot on it and," Els winked, "he had to rush off to his bedroom right away."

"Has he ever touched you?"

Color deepened in the already rosy face. "N-no! Of course not! N-not like that!"

But you wish for it, don't you?

"What's it like?" asked Els then, sinking back to the floor at Riki's knee. "What's it like to make love with your master?"

Riki thought about Iason, about the pure, ascetic beauty of that face as it bent over his, the strength in the hands that moved over his body, marking their possession in trails of fire on his skin. "It's worth it," he whispered. "It's worth everything."




A groan from the bed roused Katze from his uncomfortable doze. He jerked upright in the chair, blinking eyes that seemed filled with grit. "Iason?"

On the bed, the Blondie lay quietly, looking at him. Iason was still naked, still bloody, wrists bound to the headboard. Much of the madness was gone from his eyes, however. He licked cracked lips and rolled slowly over, looking around. Daylight leaked through the boards over the windows. It was freezing in the room.

"It's about time," Katze said, voice rough with exhaustion and worry. "Are you sane yet?"

Iason closed his eyes "I'm cold. Untie me."

The Blondie seemed calm enough. There was none of that terrible tension in the nude, muscular form. Katze, hoping he wasn't making a mistake, got out of the chair and untied him. After a moment, Iason rose. He sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing his galled wrists and staring into space.

"What happened?" he asked finally. "I remember the whore. I remember tying him down. Nothing else."

"You damn near killed him."

There was no immediate reaction. Iason simply sat.

"I think we should go back to Midas. You need – help."

"I can't." Wearily, the Blondie passed a shaking hand over his eyes.

"Iason! You all but raped a man to death! You! A Blondie!"

For just a second, Katze saw horror in those blue eyes, then the long, sandy eyelashes swept down, hiding them. When they lifted again, Iason's gaze was as clear and unconcerned as always.

"Unfortunate," he agreed.

Katze swore. "Is there something I don't know about Blondies?" he asked finally.

"I think there may be something none of us know about Blondies," was Iason's calm reply. "I need a bath, Katze. Do you think such a thing is possible here? And why is it so cold?"

"I gave the heater to the whore's pimp. He objected to the condition of his livelihood and threatened to bring around a few of his friends."

"Are you serious?" Iason seemed more amused than anything else. He reached absently for his coat.

"Quite serious."

Iason pulled his coat around him. "Katze, I need a bath."

Not so much as a simple "thank you," thought Katze darkly, getting up and leaving the room. Maybe it was him who was the crazy one.

I should just leave the son of a bitch here. Let him deal with whatever fucking insanity is taking him over. Shit. Next time, it might be me.

The screaming had finally been too much. In spite of Iason's orders and his own good sense, Katze had unlocked their adjoining door and looked in. What he'd seen on that bed had not been human, but some beautiful, rutting demon covered with blood and semen, the embodiment of mindless, carnal fury. The memory alone had the power to get his heart racing and shorten his breath.

Katze found the landlord in his apartment on the third floor. The nervous man agreed to provide hot water and, for a precious pack of Katze's cigarettes, a couple of fuel cells for the room's old stove.

That was another thing. They were running out of stuff to trade. Soon they would be down to bare essentials, things they needed to survive. Ceres was a two day journey away – easy enough to make a quick run for more supplies.

Or to not come back at all. This whole thing was Iason's problem, not his. Katze had a business to run and an apartment that had probably been ransacked by this time, either by thugs or Jupiter's minions. He liked Riki well enough, but he wasn't in love with the mongrel, damn it!

But the business was really Iason's. And although Katze had created a powerful operation in Midas' dangerous underworld, it was Iason's cachet that had kept the syndicates respectful. If Iason fell from power, or turned his back on Katze...

Fuck.

What the hell was Iason up to? If he didn't mean to betray Raoul to the Templars, why not simply gather a unit of crack mercenaries and take Riki back? Maybe he thought he could persuade Raoul to surrender or to end the insurrection. It was a plan of desperation, if that was the case, but what other choice did Iason truly have? The power of Jupiter stood behind the Templars. Iason had already defied her once. Even a favorite son could fall from grace and Iason must surely know that he walked very close to the edge.

The Blondie was where Katze had left him. He'd added a blanket to his cocoon of warmth and looked approvingly at the eunuch when Katze set about lighting the old stove. Their little heater had been more efficient, but this was better than nothing. A few minutes later, a loud thumping, followed by a diffident knock on the door signaled the landlord. He and a companion, with many anxious looks at an expressionless Iason, dragged in a small, square bathtub that had been fitted with wheels. Inside the bathtub were a couple of buckets.

"I turned on the hot water heater," the man said. "You can get some from the lavatory in about ten minutes."

"I want to go home," Katze said when the men had gone. Then, "Iason. Do you know what's wrong with you?"

Iason shook his head wearily. "I need Riki," he said. Again, for just a second, there was that glimmer of despair. "Where the hell is Raoul? Why won't he talk to me?"

"You don't just need Riki." There was no way the Blondie was going to change the subject. "Something is happening to you."

"It's Riki," persisted Iason.

"Iason!"

Iason looked away.

"How do you feel now?" asked Katze finally.

"Restless. Angry. I could use a fuck."

Katze's mouth sagged and involuntarily, he tensed. Iason's eyelids drooped and the edges of his beautiful mouth deepened. "But mostly, I'd like a bath."



Fortress – part 12 << >> Fortress – part 14

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start