Fortress

by Becca Abbott

Epilogue

Els made his way along the corridor, humming a popular tune. It was always so quiet in the tower. There was only the subliminal song of the computers, as constant as his pulse, and he liked to add his own voice to that soft, impersonal music. It was a way of telling Draco he was coming. Not that he really needed to do so, of course, for Draco already knew everything that happened here, just as he knew everything that happened out there in Tanagura.

Passing the elevator, Els stopped. The metal doors didn't open, of course. Only Draco could open them – or Iason. The youth eyed his reflection there, shaking back his hair and tucking down the collar of his shirt. Then he hurried on toward Sanctuary.

Here, at the very center of the very top of Tanagura's highest tower, the queen of the world had once held court. No one but her favorite prince had been permitted in these, her sacred halls. Now the queen was dead and her prince no longer came. Instead, a knight stood watch, and soon he, too, would be set free.

The Sanctuary was a round room with a crystal dome. It showed a piece of sky pearling with dawn. Here were more computers, dozens of them, whirring and murmuring. In their midst a man lay on a padded table, dreaming, bound to them by a tangle of cables and lines.

Els' steps faltered and he stopped, throat tightening at the sight. Even after a year, it filled him with anger and pity. He wanted to rip everything away and take the dreamer from the tower right now. Instead, he drew a deep breath, found a smile, and walked calmly to the bed. The dreamer dreamt for Amoi.

There was a precise order to freeing Draco from the computers, a ritual that never varied. Draco would allow no one but Els to do it. With sure fingers, the pet removed neural inputs, IVs, catheters, and electrodes – bit by bit reclaiming Draco from Tanagura's shadowy cyberspace.

Pale eyelashes fluttered. Els leaned over the bed and kissed the lips that parted as the Blondie returned to his own body.

"Tenth day already?" Draco said in a hoarse voice. His eyes got clearer, sharper, awareness flooding back.

"Tenth day finally," retorted Els and watched Draco smile. He unfastened the Blondie's wrist and ankle restraints. While Draco sat up, Els fetched the robe draped over a nearby chair. The sun cleared the dome, pouring light and warmth through to pool around them.

Draco was wobbly on his feet, but that was common enough after so long spent flat on his back. Els was right there with a shoulder to lean on. They left the Sanctuary together and walked slowly through the long, empty halls to their apartment.

Through the windows, Els saw the city just emerging from night. New sunlight gilded the highest of Tanagura's towers, stretching long, pale fingers between them. Draco, wearied by his brief walk, sank onto the sofa to catch his breath while Els hurried to bring him some coffee. The Blondie said little, always disoriented after being disconnected. He sat, staring out into the city, handsome face distant. He needed a haircut, thought Els. It was longer than Els had ever seen it – nearly to his shoulders.

"Riki says Iason told him the testing on the new control computer is done," said the pet finally. "They'll be installing it soon."

Draco turned his head slowly. Els returned with the coffee, handing it to him, then settling himself onto the sofa beside his master. Draco, carefully cradling the cup, nodded. "Yes. I saw the messages that went out."

Of course he would. Draco saw almost everything.

"Soon you won't have to do this."

"Yes. Soon." The golden head bowed and Draco took a cautious sip.

It was hard for Els to see Draco like this, so thin and white, the fine tremor of weakness in limbs that had once been so strong. Els understood that with Jupiter gone, someone or something had to assume control of her higher functions until a new control unit could be assembled and programmed. He just wished that someone didn't have to be Draco. But, as Iason Mink had so succinctly put it, "If you won't do it, Brand, then it will be have to be me. Is that acceptable to you?"

Draco set his coffee down on the end table and leaned back. They had six hours before he had to return to the Sanctuary – six hours before the system would start to falter without him. Els took one of his hands and gently massaged it, careful to avoid the newest bruise. It was one of many on Draco's body and he knew what had caused every one of them. This one had been left by the iv that pumped drugs into Draco's system to prevent his muscles from wasting.

"I wish we could go far away when the new system is finally up and running," said Els, lifting the frail hand to his lips. Long fingers curled around his. "Maybe back to Erba."

"And who would there be left here to stand up for justice?" asked Draco. "Jupiter's gone. Unrestrained, Mink will have the Governing Council in his pocket."

"What if he goes back on his word? What if he denies you a seat on the Council when you're done here?"

"He won't." Els looked up and saw a gleam in those shadowed blue eyes. "There is a kind of honor to Iason Mink. He'll keep his promise. Besides – I think he would be bored without a worthy opponent."

As would you, thought Els, scowling. He heard a low chuckle. Cool, slim fingers caught his chin and gently forced his head back around.

"I don't see why it has to be you, Draco!" he burst out.

"Come now. Surely it wouldn't be that bad? Didn't you say you always wanted to live a condo in Midas? One with a view?"

Draco's eyes were filled with warmth. He lowered his head and kissed his pet, reducing Els to jelly. It was always like that, Els thought. All the irritating man had to do was to turn that beautiful smile on him and all Els' righteous indignation was scattered to the wind.

"Maybe your own studio?" wheedled his master, pulling Els up onto his lap, hands slipping under the pet's shirt. "Lessons at the art academy?"

"I'm only a pet," retorted Els breathlessly, knowing he could not resist his master's wicked touch. "If you want to stay in Midas, I have no choice but to do as you wish."

"That's true," admitted Draco. His voice was apologetic, but his eyes were not. They sparkled. The shirt was gone, slipping the floor, unheeded. "No choice whatsoever."

Els moaned as his master's hands continued their wandering, slipping under the waistband of his trousers, sliding between his thighs.

"You are mine," continued Draco, lips moving along Els' shoulders while the youth trembled. Those fingers, nicely warmed now, curled around his sex and squeezed. "And don't you ever forget it."

"N-no, sir," agreed Els faintly.

Six hours was never enough time.

The End


Fortress – part 19 <<

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start