The journey itself, is freedom

by Ainzfern

Lena's note: This is just a fragment of the Epilogue. Full version is available on Ainzfern's LiveJournal, here: part A, part B, part C.

Epilogue

Seated in front of the large beveled mirror that graced the beautiful antique dresser in the guest bedroom, Tahna Lam, wrapped in his favorite soft blue satin robe, waited with uncharacteristic patience for his Furniture, Karu, to finish laying out his formal apparel. Of course, the fact that Karu was also conducting a low gentle-voiced commentary as he worked, bringing the Blondie up to speed on certain pertinent events on Amoi, might have had something to do with Tahna's level of tolerance.

Even perfectly snobby Elites liked to get news from home.

"...but, in the end I do believe that Tei and Elle actually quite enjoyed their dealings with the First Companion," Karu was saying as he carefully brushed some lint from the brocaded fabric of Tahna's formal sash-coat.

"Hmm," in the mirror's reflection, the image of Tahna Lam narrowed its eyes. "Yes, Riki is a rather engaging young man when he wishes to be. One can certainly appreciate his appeal."

"Well he seemed very competent," Karu nodded, setting a small velvet-lined box containing Tahna's silver hair clasps on the edge of the dresser. "He found a placement for Elle at the Tanagura library..."

Tahna made a vaguely approving face. "That's an inspired choice," he noted.

"Indeed," Karu smiled fondly. "He is in literary heaven."

"Well, he always did love to read," Tahna chuckled softly. "Bookish little creature that he is."

"Oh yes," Karu picked up Tahna's brush and stepped up to the Elite's shoulder. "And, as for Tei... well I think, Master Tahna, that you'll delight in the irony."

Tahna arched a pale brow. "Where is he working, Karu?"

The dignified Furniture's face grew serenely satisfied. "The restoration section of the Tanagura Art Gallery."

Tahna stared at him via the mirror's reflection. "You're serious?"

"I am," Karu nodded, his dark eyes amused. "And he is just thrilled about it, Master Tahna, if I may say such a thing. He's so pleased by the fact that he is working in the very department his master established."

The Elite vented a rich little chuckle. "I can see him being rather delighted, yes." He glanced up, his eyes growing a little more serious. "And they are doing well with their roles?"

"They are. You would be proud of how hard they've tried."

"Well," Tahna lifted his chin and nodded in a contented way, "that is quite gratifying."

"Yes, Master Tahna." Karu began to run the soft-bristled brush through the Elite's hair in slow rhythmic strokes.

Tahna's eyes grew slightly heavy, the delightfully sensuous feeling of having his hair brushed soothing and pleasing him as it always had. He was, he had to admit, very happy indeed that Chey had quite willingly adopted brushing the Blondie's heavy wealth of hair as a part of his evening routine. According to the man in question, Tahna pondered with a slow smile, he found it calming after a long day in the Senate.

"Tell me," Tahna purred in his velvet voice, "how are Elle and Tei in themselves?"

"Oh, they still miss you very much, I think," Karu replied, busily brushing. "But they're supporting each other quite well."

"This is pleasing," Tahna's eyes closed blissfully for a moment. "Now, regarding my personal estate management... what of the property values along the upper industrial sector? Any change?"

Karu set the brush aside and used both hands to gently ease the Blondie's hair back from his face, securing the glossy mass with a stunningly wrought silver clasp at the nape of his neck. "No fluctuations across the median prices there, Master Tahna. It's been holding steady for the last quarter."

"That's comforting."

"Indeed," Karu expertly neatened Tahna's hair, using a wide-toothed comb to ensure that the thick locks falling from the clasp to spill down the Elite's back were perfectly smooth and shining. "I have taken the liberty, however, of adding a small diversification into short-term speculation on property development to your larger portfolio... a moderate risk of seventy-five thousand."

"Oh?" Shrewdly narrowed violet eyes met calm dark ones in the mirror. "What property sector?"

"Upper Midas, Master Tahna," Karu smiled smugly. "One of my fellow Furnitures was actually boasting to me about his Master's pending construction project along the old boulevard lanes. It really didn't test me much in the area of deduction to ascertain the specific section."

Tahna smiled evilly. "Sir Nitin's man was crowing again, was he?"

"Oh yes."

"... and the expected capital gain on the land you snaffled?"

"Projections indicate three hundred percent within the next twelve months."

Tahna flashed a dazzling smile. "Oh, very nice." He arched a brow as an afterthought occurred. "You did verify via the Syndicate planning offices that the project was proceeding, didn't you?"

Karu somehow contrived to give the impression of heaving a long suffering sigh even though his expression remained utterly composed and properly respectful. "The plans went on display just prior to the end of the last quarter, Master Tahna."

The Blondie shot him a look. "All right, Karu," he said snippily. "Don't belabor it."

"Yes Sir."

"You did well."

"Thank you, Master Tahna." Karu rather fastidiously either patted or stroked the odd errant strand of pale gold into place before stepping back, signaling to the Elite that his hairstyle at least was completed.

Tahna smiled somewhat loftily, inspecting Karu's handiwork with evident approval. "Quite elegant," he remarked before pausing, meeting his Furniture's eyes in the mirror and lifting one broad shoulder in an off-hand sort of way. "I'm rather glad you're here, Karu," he added in an artfully casual tone, his expression quite poised and his beautiful violet eyes speaking volumes.

Karu's demeanor softened; just for a moment, but it was noticeable. "As am I, Master Tahna."

Tahna nodded shortly, pulling in breath and lifting his chin, his perfect face once more all business. "...And the residential investments in Eos Tower?" he queried. "Any additional enquiries on the South facing mid-level you placed on the market for me?"

Karu moved towards the bed where, carefully laid out, were Tahna's formal silks and his heavy brocaded sash-coat. "We're down to two firm offers." Carefully, he picked up the exquisitely fine and soft dove-grey satin shirt and brought it to the Blondie. "At the moment bidding has locked, but I firmly suspect the initial bidder will make a final offer shortly." With deft fingers and a matter of fact expression, he slipped the robe from the Elite's shoulders and began the rather painstaking traditional task of dressing his master.

As Karu worked, his soft calm voice continuing to bring Tahna up to speed on all the events in Tanagura, the Blondie began to smile ever so slightly. He had to admit, even if only to himself, as gratifying as it was to receive a detailed and positive report it was the truth contained in a single off-handedly spoken sentence that, oddly, pleased him the most.

He was glad Karu was here.




"Well? This is as dazzling as I am ever going to get. I trust it's adequate."

At the soft velvet sound of Tahna's voice, Chey smiled warmly, ceasing his contemplation of the back garden and turning around to face the open door that exited onto the rear deck of the house.

Standing just outside it, resplendent in a traditional Amoian Elite sash-coat and silks was his utterly glorious intended. Tahna's choice of colors was, as would be expected for such an aesthetic creature, absolutely perfect. Karu had done an exceptional job. The Blondie was visual poetry – all fine soft dove-grey silks overlaid with a stunningly brocaded deep blue sash coat that accentuated both Tahna's broad shoulders and the sleek lean lines of his flanks. His mass of pale hair fell in a glossy wealth down his graceful back, secured softly off his perfect face by one of his favorite clasps.

God, he was beautiful... just stunning. Chey felt a deep ache in both heart and loins as he drank in the Blondie with his sharp blue-eyed gaze.

He really was getting the better of this bargain. Chey truly believed that. Because not only was Sir Tahna Lam exquisite to look upon, he was also a damn near perfect match for Chey Neeson in all the ways that really mattered. He was witty and intelligent, acerbic and challenging... and, Chey had discovered, also possessed of a genuinely loving nature and the most endearing ability to express affection of any person Chey had ever known.

"Blondie," Chey murmured, hooking one strong arm around the Elite's waist and drawing him in close, "you are, without a doubt, the most gorgeous damned thing I have ever seen. If we make it all the way through the ceremony without me falling on you in a pure bolt of lust and adoration, it'll be a miracle."

Tahna gave him a smug little look. "That will do, I suppose." He leaned closed and kissed Chey's mouth gently, his lips soft and warm. "You look rather acceptable too, I must admit," his large eyes narrowed as he subjected his lover to a critical once-over, one long fingered hand smoothing down the lapel of Chey's beautifully tailored charcoal grey suit.

Chuckling, both his amusement and his fondness almost boundless, Chey tightened his hold around Tahna's deceptively lean but powerful frame, hugging him close for a long moment. He heard the Blondie sigh softly as Tahna relaxed into his embrace.

"You okay, love?" Chey smoothed one hand down the length of Tahna's back, stroking him slowly, gently.

"I'm fine, Chey," Tahna rested his cheek against Chey's, his sweet clean scent filling the statesman's senses. "But I will confess to just the tiniest bit of building anxiety."

"Well, you're not alone there," Chey pulled back a little and met Tahna's splendid eyes, flashing a rakish grin at him. "I know this is probably going to sound very strange, considering how much effort I put into getting you here... but, now that the moment has arrived—"

"—You can't wait for it to be over, either?" Tahna interjected, a look of something very much like relief crossing his flawless face.

Chey nodded, laughing ruefully. "Exactly."

"Oh. Well that's a comfort. I thought it was just me."

Chey hugged him again, delivering a series of soft kisses to his face. "Blondie, I think in all honesty it's just men... in general, of any demographic."

Smiling, Tahna lifted his hands to Chey's face; cupping his handsome jaw and drawing him close again, returning his kisses with a certain concentrated attention to detail. Naturally Chey submitted quite contentedly to the Elite's ministrations and, while it was quite true they did indeed have other things to be doing right now quite frankly, in Chey's opinion, nothing took precedence over kissing this man.

"Ohhh, my! Now don't stop on my account, darlings!"

Except possibly that....

Stifling a regretful sigh, Chey extricated himself from Tahna's grip and looked toward the door. "Nana," he greeted 'Mrs. Neeson very senior' with an affectionate wink. "Am I right in assuming that you have something to tell us..? Or did you just seize the usual opportunity for a bit of voyeurism?"

Utterly unabashed, Nana shrugged her skinny little shoulders blithely. "Well, I did have some news of import, as a matter of fact; but then I also figured – 'why pass up a chance?'"

Shaking his head in defeat Chey grinned, impressed as always by the sheer audacity of the tiny woman. "All right. This news of yours?"

She planted her walking stick firmly between her feet and grinned up at them both, her blue eyes sparkling. "We've had a little cavalcade pull up outside, boys, of quite long, quite black, limousines – out of which some extremely tall and rather pretty fellows have materialized." She winked at Tahna, "Now, James and Laura have got it all under control out there... but I was guessing that, just possibly, they might be some friends of yours?"

"Ah!" Chey slid his arm firmly around Tahna's waist. "That sounds a lot like Iason Mink might have just arrived."

Tahna hummed a soft sound of agreement.

Nana pulled a little face. "Well, I can't say if that's his name or not, sweetheart... but if he's a towering streak of gorgeous with a hell of a good-looking boyfriend, then I'd say we have a match."

Much to Chey's delighted amusement Tahna fixed Nana with a cautionary stare. "There is one very important point I would like to make, here..."

"Yes, honey?"

Unmoved by the endearment, Tahna affected to look even sterner. "You, madam, are not to pinch him."

She gave him an evil little grin.

"Eleanor Rose," Tahna said firmly, "there will be two dozen heavily armed Syndicate security men concealed within sniping distance of the Leader of Amoi at all times—"

"Well that's not a problem," she cut him off with a raucous chuckle; "I can pinch them, too."

Chey winced, seriously wishing his grandmother had a better sense of timing. At least for today.

To her credit, however, just as Tahna was inflating his lungs to launch into his impressive full-volume mode, the feisty little dynamo composed herself and nailed the flushing Elite with a flatly long-suffering look. "Oh honey, of course I won't do anything silly to the man," her smile turned jaunty again. "Let's be honest. I don't have many years ahead of me, but they're still mine and I don't plan to waste them by getting myself shot at your bonding ceremony." She paused, frowning thoughtfully, "Although... that would make a hell of a good story for you to tell at family reunions."

Diatribe instantly cut off, Tahna huffed a wry chuckle. He shook his head, glancing sideways into Chey's eyes. "Remind me again. Exactly why am I allowing myself to be espoused into this particular clan?"

Leaning close once more and kissing that creased brow, Chey grinned, feeling his heart swell with fondness as he met his Blondie's beautiful eyes. "You took pity on me because I begged so eloquently."

"Ah," Tahna nodded sagely. "So I did."

"Well," Chey touched Tahna's smooth white neck with lingering fingertips. "You ready?"

With an almost somber little sigh, Tahna nodded. "As ready as I shall ever be, Mr. Neeson."

Moving a gently guiding hand to Tahna's lower back, Chey gestured with the other towards the door. "Then, no time like the present," he said softly.

Tahna smiled, moving gracefully towards the door with Chey beside him. After a mere two steps, however, he stopped. With his splendid eyes narrowing, he turned and looked back down over his shoulder. "Nana?"

"Yes, darling?"

The Blondie gestured with a graceful sweep of one arm. "You first," he said quite firmly.

"Damn!" Nana muttered, shooting Tahna a baleful look as she slowly moved past and into the house, her walking stick tapping quite pointedly as she went.

"You've really got her worked out," Chey murmured admiringly as they followed in her wake. "She doesn't have it all her own way anymore, does she?"

Tahna heaved a sigh. "Well it was either that, or never sit down again without wincing."

Smiling delightedly Chey tightened his hold around the Blondie. As he guided Tahna through the home of his childhood, he reflected for a moment upon his life thus far and the roots from whence he had come. He was proud of his family; of their solid foundations and their decent and productive lives. They had raised him well, imparting to him a solid work ethic, a healthy respect for others and a deep sense of honesty and integrity. He smiled quite ruefully, glancing sideways into Tahna's eyes, recalling how he had resisted his father's wishes that he leave Isius in order to further his education rather than staying on to take over the family business.

Seems the old man had been right all along.

Chey would have done his best had he stayed on Isius, that much was a given. A strong sense of responsibility was in his nature and no doubt he would have been successful. But, at the same time, Chey knew there would always have been a part of him that yearned towards the adventures he would never have had... a part of him that would have known somehow that there was something missing his whole life.

If not for his dad's insistence, Chey would never have even met Tahna Lam.

And that truly would have been tragic, Chey mused. Because to him, it honestly felt as though he had simply been marking time all his life... waiting to fall in love with this man alone. There would never be anyone else for Chey. Tahna held his whole heart, his entire self, in those elegant and long fingered hands.

On impulse, just before they stepped out onto the front parch to greet the arriving guests, Chey halted Tahna with a gentle touch to the arm. "Blondie?" he murmured, turning Tahna to face him.

With a delicate little crease of inquiry appearing on his brow, Tahna tilted his head to one side, waiting.

Chey smiled, and then heaved a sigh. "Y'know, it's ironic," he began quietly, his throat tightening almost painfully, the sheer depths of the emotions suddenly flooding his chest threatening to overwhelm him. "There is so much I want to say right now but for the first time in my adult life, love... words fail me.

A slow smile curved Tahna's rich mouth. Those lovely eyes sparkled knowingly as they shrewdly assessed him, filled with affection and amusement. He shot a classically haughty little look down his perfect nose and sniffed with splendid disdain. "That's nothing unusual to me, Chey dear..." he said lightly, "I've been leaving far smarter people than you speechless all my life."

Chey blinked and then burst out laughing, feeling his equilibrium returning with a literal 'thud'. Hooking one hand around the back of Tahna's slender neck Chey drew him close and kissed him, soundly and with profound gratitude. "Priceless, Blondie," he chuckled as he pulled back. "Absolutely priceless."

Tahna merely smiled smugly, one pale brow arching as he twined his fingers with Chey's and led him rather firmly out onto the front porch.

The End


The journey itself... – chapter 29 <<

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start