On Hire

by Lena (language corrections by Shayne and Phaedra7veils)

Chapter 6

"I think it's a completely misguided idea," Katze said. "You're gonna take me there and what? There'll be plenty of elite, all with their pets. What will you tell them? That you brought your assistant with you? To a pet party? Come on, Raoul."

The sky had only started getting dark outside. They sat next to each other on the sofa in the great hall, food and the closed chessboard untouched on the table before them.

"Not exactly a pet party," Raoul corrected. "More – a celebration. Kano won't bring his pet, he'll be with Lucius. And Lucius will be with Kano. They'll have too much fun showing each other off to care about pets."

Right, Raoul definitely knew something about showing off.

"They're both elite, they both have a reason to be there. I don't," Katze pointed out.

"All right then. I'll tell everybody that you are my pet."

Wha...? The dealer jerked in surprise, pushing away from the backrest, and turned to look at Raoul. The Blondie returned his gaze, glancing at him from under the thick eyelashes. A sly smile played on his lips. Oh, the bastard was joking. But how could Katze have known? With Raoul you never knew.

He let his body fall back into cushioning.

"A pet, huh?" he picked up. "You'll make a laughing stock of yourself in front of everyone."

"Is that so?" Raoul's voice sounded strangely serious and drew Katze's gaze again. "You think an idea of making you a pet is so completely ridiculous?"

"Well? What else could it be?"

"I could think of quite a few arguments to convince the elite that a pet like you would be much more interesting than a class A one from the Academy."

"Oh yeah?" Katze challenged him. "Like?"

"Like—" Raoul took a breath. "Imagine for a moment that you are an elite and give me the reasons why you wouldn't make a good pet."

Katze kept staring at the Blondie out of the corner of his eye. Here he was. Compared to a pet. Compared to an elite. So typical of Raoul. He slid deeper into the seat and rested his foot on the edge of the table, preparing for intellectual ping-pong.

"Very well. I'm... He's too old. It's unthinkable to have someone that old as a pet."

Raoul smirked. "Old? What do you mean by old? He's in fact a few years younger than I am. Do you mean I am old?"

"Well, no, but for pets age is counted differently."

"Says who? A rule? I'd say that's nonsense. Pets keep us company in our everyday life. Are we so immature as to surround ourselves with kids? How interesting can a dumb kid be for a grown up, highly intelligent man?"

"One could say pets are not supposed to be intelligent. Otherwise they could start bothering their heads with completely inappropriate things like reading or learning. They are just toys. They should be focused on the things they are meant for."

"And I would say that we chose our own toys and the purpose for them. If one chooses substandard property when they might have something much better, that's their problem. I choose only the best."

Katze fidgeted in his seat and cleared his throat. "All right, it might work. How about this: he's a mongrel. And just don't tell me that Iason having a mongrel pet is an argument."

"I won't. Here we go. A mongrel, you say. So? He might be a mongrel, but just look at him. Look at his face, at his body. Isn't he beautiful? Tall like us, with features so regular that many pets would envy. All right, so he's got the scar, but he wasn't born with it. He was injured. Besides, it's just a small, negligible flaw, quite exotic I would say. Another thing – his hair. The color as pure as any Ruby's. Jupiter created us to be physically perfect. More perfect than pets. A man who resembles us is physically much closer to perfection than any of the pets. As for his mind... How can I even compare pets with their insect little brains to the man who alone compromised the computer system designed by elite? So he is a mongrel, created through random coincidence. Do you have any idea how incredible it makes him?"

Only as he finished speaking, did Raoul notice that Katze was staring at him, amazement in his eyes. The mongrel's lips trembled. "You really mean all that?"

Raoul shrugged, the dealer's incredulous gaze making him feel uneasy. "These are facts, Katze. How can I not mean them? Well," he spoke quickly to shake off the impression, "anything else? The next would be: he's castrated, right?"

Katze sighed. He turned away from the Blondie and stared at his shoe. "He's castrated. For a pet that in itself is disqualifying. He can't perform. Pets are performers."

"Like I said – we choose the purpose for our toys. Who says they have to be meant for sex? Besides, he can be very sexually interesting, I assure you."

Katze gave him a venomous look. "You wouldn't use this one."

"You're right, I wouldn't," Raoul smiled. "How about this? Being castrated in a way makes him even more like us. He is sterile, just like us. He isn't sexually active, just like us. So that's another of his elite-like features."

Katze blinked, perplexed. "And that was a bit far fetched."

Raoul threw up his arms. "Hey, everything for the sake of the discussion!"

"Yeah, so I see."

He felt strange having this conversation. It'd been a long time since anyone had discussed him as a thing, property in his presence. And to think that now he was doing it himself. It was a bit annoying, but on the other hand... Having heard all those things from the Blondie's lips, made him feel—high. Here he had answers to the questions he'd been asking himself for over a month. Why had Raoul taken fancy to him? Why had he chosen him over pure-bred, well-trained, younger and fully fit Academy pets? Not that he'd ever considered himself inferior to those brainless little creatures. But for some things they were just more fitting. The whole part about his physical superiority astounded him a great deal. It was... a revelation. But, hell, a convincing one.

"If you're so open-minded all of a sudden," he observed, "you should finally understand why Iason has a thing for Riki."

"And why would that be?" Raoul seemed surprised. "Riki doesn't have any of those features I value in you. He is very attractive, I admit, his... wildness might be... alluring, but he doesn't match pets' beauty. And he doesn't have anything to make up for it. He is perhaps smarter than pets, but nothing extraordinary either."

"You'd be surprised, Raoul."

The Blondie shot him a glance. "Don't tell me he is another brilliant mongrel."

Katze's mouth tilted. "Brilliant? No. He's not some kind of brainiac if that's what you mean. But he lacks nothing when it comes to wits. He's very smart. With the kind of smartness that commands a high price in the market."

"If you say so," Raoul shrugged, looking unconvinced and Katze didn't intend to push the matter further.

They sat in silence for a while, each one immersed in his own thoughts, then suddenly Raoul's ear caught Katze's little snicker. He turned his face to the mongrel.

"What?"

"Man, I just can see their faces when you tell them all that," the dealer shook his head. "'But Raoul! Aren't you a little bit too eccentric?'" he exclaimed in a theatrically offended voice. "They'd be thinking you're completely out of your mind."

A picture of a few goggly-eyed, shell-shocked elites appeared in Raoul's mind and made him laugh as well.

"I'd sure like to see that. Oh," he purred, "I'd love to see that."

Katze chuckled freely, throwing his head back. The sound of his soft, relaxed voice suddenly attracted Raoul's attention. He stared at the dealer curiously, entranced by the sight. He'd never seen Katze so carefree before. He honestly doubted the mongrel often let his guard down like this. If ever.

Suddenly he wanted more. Suddenly the sound of this laughter stirred something inside him. Without thinking, he reached for Katze's hand and closed his around it. The laughter broke off. The dealer raised his head and looked at him, remains of good humor still on his face. Raoul's heart beat faster.

"What are you..." the mongrel muttered.

Raoul reached out and stroked Katze's cheek. His fingers combed through the red strands.

"You are so... beautiful when you laugh."

The dealer's face was suddenly completely serious. And the relaxed expression gone. Katze trembled.

"Please, don't."

Raoul frowned. "Don't what?"

"Don't... say that. Don't look at me as if you wanted to—"

"To what? Drag you to the bed right away?" Raoul's eyes narrowed as he moved his face closer to the dealer. His voice dropped to a whisper. "But that's exactly what I want, Katze."

Katze closed his eyes and turned his head away. What had gotten into that Blondie all of a sudden? They were sitting together, chatting, laughing, almost like... buddies. And then, so unexpectedly... Raoul's swift change of attitude frightened him. He could stand the Blondie taking him every night, damn, in a way he could even enjoy it, but only because it was never unexpected. He was always psychically prepared. Now he wasn't and the thought of giving himself to Raoul suddenly felt repulsive.

"But I don't want it," he breathed.

Raoul's fingers around his tightened abruptly, bringing pain, and he forced himself to look at the Blondie again. The change on Raoul's face was striking. Brows drawn together angrily, eyes fierce...

"What makes you think you have any right to decide in this matter?" The words were chilly. Katze felt anger rising in him as well.

"Right. I forgot I don't have any," he spat. "You create pretty illusions of equality, Raoul."

For a moment the biologist sized him up with a stern gaze. "Go prepare yourself, Katze. Undress and get into bed. I'll be there in a minute."

Katze gritted his teeth but didn't try to protest. He just looked significantly at their clasped hands and Raoul took the hint. He opened his fingers, letting Katze go. The dealer got up and silently headed for the bedroom.

The sex wasn't pleasant. Not even physically. For the first time Raoul ordered him to lay face down and took him rougher than usual. Katze could feel the fury emerging through the Blondie's thrusts. He was furious as well. And humiliated. In a sense he was glad they weren't facing each other. He didn't think he could stand looking at Raoul. This way it was easier. Dehumanizing but easier.

Then the Blondie came and stopped. But he didn't let Katze go. And after a few minutes lying pinned under the other man's body, Katze felt the big organ inside him harden again. He swore inwardly when Raoul resumed thrusting. Dammit, it'd never happened before. So he just gritted his teeth, dug his fingers into the sheets and endured it.

Luckily it didn't take long. The Blondie spent himself for the second time and slumped down on him. Katze twisted sharply under his weight.

"Done with me, already?" he growled.

Raoul winced with the remains of anger but couldn't bring himself to scold the mongrel. Now, that he'd given vent to his raging emotions, his senses were slowly returning. And he suddenly felt disgusted. For the first time disgusted by sex with Katze. No, actually by his own actions. Oh, Jupiter, what had he done?

"Yes," he groaned.

"Then get off me," Katze's voice was sharp, like an order, and automatically Raoul complied, freeing the redhead from his grip.

Katze jumped out of bed like a scalded cat. Raoul lifted himself on his elbow and opened his mouth to say something, but realized that his mind was blank. In one abrupt movement, the dealer grabbed his jeans from the floor and walked to the bathroom. A moment later the door slid shut behind him. Raoul fell on his back, covering his eyes with his hand. Shit.




After an hour he began to worry. What was Katze doing so long in the bath? He was fuming, no doubt. But—an hour? Was he going to stay there all night? Raoul definitely didn't like that prospect.

Reluctantly, he got out of bed. All right, so he'd screwed things up, now he had to placate his mongrel. He really didn't feel too good about what happened, but it was his right to do it, wasn't it? No matter what Jupiter might think about his conduct, it was still his full right to use the mongrel. He'd spent an hour repeating it to himself and finally it worked. More or less.

He put on his pants, came up to the bathroom door and placed his hand on the scanner. The door stayed closed. All right, so Katze had locked it, it was quite natural, everyone needed some privacy in the bathroom. Raoul waited a few moments for the dealer to open, but nothing happened. He waited a little more. The door stood unyielding before him. Damn. His hand rose and banged at the thick plasteel before he managed to stop it.

"Katze, are you in there?" What a stupid question, of course he was. "Katze, open the door!"

Silence. It didn't make much sense – banging at the door. When the port was locked, placing a hand on the scanner activated a signal inside, so Katze already had to know that Raoul tried to get in. If he hadn't reacted, banging wouldn't help either. It just felt good. Created an illusion of control.

As much as Raoul hated to violate the mongrel's sulking privacy, this situation was beginning to get on his nerves. He definitely wasn't going to spend the night unable to enter his own bathroom. And he wasn't the master of this condo for nothing. He could open its every door using a special code reserved only for him. Since Katze wouldn't talk to him, it seemed he didn't have any other choice but to use it now.

Swiftly, Raoul entered the code, put his hand on the scanner again and waited. Nothing. He tapped the same sequence once more, thinking that maybe his finger had hit the wrong key. Nothing. What on Jupiter? Had Katze... no, he wouldn't.

Wouldn't he? If it was possible to tinker with the port to change the code, Katze would definitely be capable of doing such a thing. Why shouldn't he then?

"Katze!" Raoul called more loudly. Same result.

He slid his gaze around the room, as if he could find an answer there. With a certain surprise he realized that he didn't know what to do. Could he tamper with the port himself? Maybe. Before the code had been changed. Now... He bent down and looked at the panel. He frowned. He displayed the history of the recent actions, hoping that he would find some useful information there, but the result told him nothing. He tried to undo the latest changes, but the screen announced that the operation was blocked. He ran a few different emergency options. All for nothing. The door was locked dead.

He stared blankly at the panel. The buttons stared impassively back, giving him no answer. He gritted his teeth and stifled a curse. What now? Call the tower service? And what would he tell them? 'Hey, guys. You see, there's a certain half naked mongrel in my bathroom. Just dropped by and locked himself in.' No, it was out of question.

There was one last hope. The condo's main terminal. Every electronic device in the penthouse could be reached and controlled from there. It might work. He turned on his heel and left the bedroom.

He was back ten minutes later. With a screwdriver and crowbar in his hand. And no longer trying to suppress the curses. Reo poked his nose into the bedroom and cast a fearful glance after his master before the door slid closed automatically.

Raoul approached the bathroom port and banged at the dogged concrete one last time.

"Katze, open up now!"

Still silence. Oh, damn, he hadn't hurt himself, had he? No, the Blondie shook off the thought. Such stupid excesses weren't in Katze's style.

He looked at the tools in his hand and got down to manual work.




When a quarter of an hour later he opened the heavy door with some help from the crowbar, the first thing he became aware of was the acrid stench of cigarette smoke attacking his nostrils. He coughed and walked into his bathroom, now hazy gray.

He noticed Katze at once with an overwhelming feeling of relief. The mongrel was squatting against the wall, just next to the entrance. A cigarette dangled from his fingers. He completely ignored the fact that the Blondie had just entered – didn't move, didn't look up. He didn't seem to have noticed Raoul at all.

The Blondie waved his hand to disperse the thick smoke around him. He glanced down at the mongrel. Katze had his pants on, but his chest was bare and in this position his strong, wonderfully shaped muscles rippled perfectly. In spite of the gloomy circumstances, Raoul studied the picture with delight.

"Why did you do it?" he asked.

"Do what?" Katze's voice was completely flat. Golden eyes stared at the floor.

"Why did you block the code? Why did you lock yourself in here for a whole hour?"

"Really Raoul," the dealer jeered. "Are you so dumb not to know?"

Raoul felt a sudden anger at these words. How dared he? How did this mongrel dare to insult him? But when he spoke, he managed to keep his voice in check.

"You know, I really should punish you for talking to me like that."

"Then do. What's stopping you?"

He studied the redhead for a long moment, irritation still running through his veins, but washing quickly away when he tried to imagine himself raising a hand to Katze. He sighed and crouched before the dealer.

"I can't," he admitted. Katze's narrow eyes shifted to him and Raoul covered his sudden embarrassment with a faint smile. "How could I punish someone who fixed me so neatly?"

The amber gaze left him to focus on the cig. Katze rolled the butt between his fingers, squeezing it slightly.

"Look, I'm sorry, but you can't expect me to apologize," Raoul took up. "You finally HAVE to understand that I have a right to do it." He bit his lip, looking at Katze. "Would you believe me if I told you that I don't feel... comfortable about what happened either?"

The redhead was still silent. Raoul rolled his eyes.

"Hey, you gave me a hard time too." He motioned with his hand, still armed with the crowbar. "See what I did because of you? Now I'll have to have someone fix this door. And did you really have to smoke in here?"

Katze shrugged. "You took a mongrel, now deal with the consequences."

Raoul sighed, glad to hear a trace of humor in the redhead's words. He rose and looked down at him.

"Get up, Katze." The dealer glanced up and Raoul prompted him with his hand. "Come on, get up. If you still want to smoke, go out on the balcony."

The mongrel slowly got to his feet. Raoul took a step back, not wanting to weigh him down with his proximity.

"Just put something on," he added. "It's cold outside."

Katze stared at him for yet another moment, then passed him and left the bathroom without a word.




Raoul himself needed quite a few minutes to cool down. He spent them taking a quick, lukewarm shower, cleaning his body from recent sex and his mind from gloomy thoughts.

Katze wasn't in the bedroom when he left the bathroom, but he noticed the mongrel's figure outside, leaning against the balcony ledge. Smoking. Katze's shirt was still on the floor, sprawled expressively in front of Raoul's eyes. Without a second thought the Blondie followed the dealer's footsteps to the balcony. He came to a halt beside the redhead, resting one hand on the ledge.

"Feeling better already?"

For a while Katze was silent, staring into the darkness.

"You definitely put me in my place tonight," he murmured finally. He seemed better. Not much better though.

"But that's what your place is," Raoul said. "You should never forget it."

The dealer shook his head. "And I was beginning to—" he stopped short.

Raoul glanced at him. "You were beginning to what?"

"Nothing." The mongrel tossed the fag into the night, pushed himself away from the ledge and retreated into the bedroom, leaving Raoul alone again.

Inside, he sat down on the bed and shivered, trying to shake the cold off his skin. He was freezing. The evenings were getting really cold this time of the year. He should have listened to Raoul... No, he didn't want to listen to the Blondie in any way. And he wanted another smoke.

He felt strange. As if something inside him had broken. Not even after that night when Raoul had taken him for the first time had he felt this way. Then he'd been mad. Now... this time it wasn't so much anger. It was realization.

Suddenly the nature of his arrangement with Raoul became absolutely clear to him. It was like a flash of insight. He'd been deluding himself before, thinking that he and the Blondie could establish some sort of partnership. No partnership was possible when a Blondie was concerned. He could never know when Raoul decides to switch from partner to master mode. And if that was so, any partnership there could be was as good as none. He always had to be prepared. He always had to keep in mind that Raoul was in control. Fuck.

He was sure he would never forget it anymore.




The car stopped in front of the huge, luxurious building of Parthea. Instantly a furniture appeared beside it. He was stooping his body in a deep bow before the door had even time to fully open.

"Welcome to the party, sir Raoul. Master Shisei is expecting you," he recited.

They got out of the limousine, Raoul clad in an impressive evening suit – a typical over-done suit at the height of elite fashion. Katze glanced at the Blondie, wondering for the nth time within the last hour how people who were supposed to have good taste could dress in something like this. And the first biologist of Amoi was perhaps the most fashionable of all them.

The banquet was taking place on the top floor of the building. The main reception hall was already full of people when they entered. The place was bright. Wide rays of early-afternoon sun streamed through the high windows that occupied the whole wall and revealed an enormous balcony to the guests' eyes.

As if only waiting for their arrival, Shisei Kano – in his imposing attire looking like a peacock – approached them, smiling widely. Almost immediately his blue-haired companion appeared at his side.

"Raoul!" Kano exclaimed with apparent delight. "Here you are finally!"

Raoul smiled. "Shisei, Lucius. Nice to see you."

"Ah, and you brought your assistant with you," the Platina continued in the same happy tone. "Katze, it's a pleasure to have you here. You look gorgeous."

Katze didn't know why the question of his appearance was so important to bring it up. Actually he didn't look any different than usual. Raoul spared him all this costume madness, at least for that he was grateful to the Blondie. All the biologist had requested from him was to wear something 'better', so Katze just donned his new, rather plain, lounge suit.

They moved slowly through the hall, Kano chatting vivaciously about his and Raoul's new alliance. Every now and then someone came over to say hello or nodded a greeting in their direction, but so far Raoul didn't seem interested in speaking with anyone in particular. A furniture approached them with a tray of drinks and the Blondie took one. Katze thanked the boy, shaking his head in refusal.

So far there were about thirty elites at the party – some of them members of the Center's board, some – the most prominent elite of Tanagura, the rest probably Kano's associates. One glance around the room was enough to assess that most of the guests had brought their pets along. Part of the cute adolescents hung at their master's sides, others – apparently released from their lashes – wandered freely around the room.

Following a half step behind the three elites, the dealer took perverse pleasure in studying the pets closely. Their scant outfits show-cased their beautiful, young, androgynous bodies. Skin tight, with openings in interesting places and see-through parts. The pets were supposed to be extremely attractive. Well, there was no denying that they were.

The ones sticking with their masters kept their heads humbly lowered, but those set loose seemed to have completely forgotten about their meek demeanor. They helped themselves freely at the buffet, whispered and giggled amongst each other, no trace of servility in their behavior. Katze couldn't help feeling contemptuous pity looking at them.

"At fifteen hundred, that is—" Kano glanced at his wrist, "in an hour, I plan a light afternoon repast for the guests. We'll raise a toast and celebrate together. And after the meal, since so many of us have come with their pets, I think we'll give those kids a chance to show off. What do you think?"

"It's your party, Shisei," Raoul made the Platina a courtly bow. "But it suits me just fine."

Lucius' head suddenly turned towards Katze. "Will you join, Katze?"

The dealer didn't miss the little fact that Kano's lover didn't actually say how he was supposed to join. Or maybe it was his own paranoia. He gave the man a flat smile.

"I'm not a great fan of watching pet shows, sir. Seen too many of them, mostly from backstage."

The Sapphire smiled back at him. "So I can imagine. Though it's a great pity. I'm sure your person would be very entertaining."

Katze bit back a sharp retort before it managed to escape his mouth and swallowed the hint silently. Having waited a moment, as if to make sure that the issue was closed, Kano went back to beaming over the union and Katze, happily, to watching pets.

He noticed Iason the very moment they entered the second, smaller parlor. The head of Tanagura's Syndicate sat at a low table with two other Blondies, both accompanied by beautiful youths seated on velour pillows at their feet. There was also the third youth, on a pillow at Iason's feet, but neither pose nor expression of this particular pet showed appropriate respect. Riki was propped against Iason's sofa, elbows resting on bent knees, black brows drawn together, while his sharp eyes scanned the surroundings with a menacing glower.

Katze felt a surge of contrasting emotions at seeing those two. A part of him wanted to run away screaming, another – to bounce merrily towards the couple. He knew they would be here, of course he knew – the first Tanagura's Blondie couldn't be passed over in the list of Kano's upper echelon guests. But this knowledge didn't help the fact that his heart raced in his chest as though he were some stupid teenager.

For the last six weeks, since the moment he'd moved to Raoul's place, he'd hardly spoken to his former master. It wasn't necessary, he could run the business without meeting or talking with Iason. But he missed the Blondie. Oh, he missed him a lot. He yearned to see him and avoided it at the same time. He was sure he'd feel awkward in Iason's company. There were times when he sat at the computer with his finger over the call button, desperate to see Iason's face, but... what would he say to him? Pretend some business matter? He always ended up deciding that it was better not to call.

Same with Riki. He'd been avoiding the brat. When he had a task for him, he sent it by mail and demanded the answer in the same way. Not that he missed the punk; well, maybe a little, but Riki was a pain in the ass sometimes and the truth was Katze just didn't want to hear the kid's cutting comments about his new... status.

Oh, he was positive he would hear them today.

Iason's blue, slightly bored eyes moved to them, apparently catching the movement at the door... and froze, suddenly lively. The Blondie's shapely lips formed a small smile.

"Here is your friend," Kano's voice reached Katze's ears. "I believe you'll be happy to join him for now."

"Yes, if you don't mind," Raoul said.

"Of course I don't. I am expecting a few more guests, so I'll go do the honors."

They nodded at each other, then Kano and Lucius disappeared back into the first room and Raoul strolled up to Iason's table, Katze following him. Another set of nods was enough of a greeting and the Blondie sat down on the sofa opposite Iason and gestured Katze to a place next to him.

The dealer heaved a silent sigh of relief and sat down as well. Riki from his place gave him a dark look.

"So, Kano says this new union will be very profitable for both of you," Iason struck up a polite conversation.

"Indeed. It's a huge opportunity for Shisei's company and a great improvement for mine."

"From what I've heard he is planning to change the Enterprises' policy. Start his own research instead of only producing equipment," one of the other Blondies said.

They continued in the same flat, strikingly monotonous tone for a while, the conversation seasoned with the occasional bland social laugh. Soon the two other elites left and somehow no one hurried over to replace them. The atmosphere eased a little. Raoul and Iason started one of their typical conversations. Katze knew that neither of them would mind if he joined in, but he somehow didn't feel like speaking. So he just sat silently, allowed himself to relax, and stared at the couple in front of him.

He had to admit they looked good sitting like that. With his glare and stance, Riki was like no other pet. He wasn't dressed like a pet either. All in black as always. His long pants and sleeveless turtleneck were both skintight, but revealed nothing in particular, save for a narrow strip of skin at the waist. He could easily go outside like this and no one would deem it abnormal. Maybe just a bit provocative.

And Iason... Iason was no less outstanding compared to the rest of elites. His suit was modest by upper-class standards, which only emphasized his own strength and beauty. He was magnificent amidst a throng of colorfully over-dressed aristocratic clowns.

Watching them, Katze could almost see the invisible bond that held them together. Attraction, fascination, desire... It left a sorrowful, bitter taste in his mouth. Damn, in a way they were so alike.

A few times Iason's gaze met Katze's and stopped there. The dealer shivered with apprehension. Was it only him or was there something in the Blondie's eyes? Some... intensity. Why did Iason stare like this? Did he know? Aw, shit! Katze suddenly realized a possible reason for the elite's interest. Had Raoul told him about... the sex issue? Had he told him what he'd made Katze into? He felt an obtrusive blush creeping up his cheeks but gritted his teeth defiantly. Yes, Iason, I did betray you. Many times. And so what? Why should you care? You were the one who gave me away. You hinted about new experiences. You have no right to despise me.

But he lowered his gaze, unable to meet Iason's.

He didn't know how long they sat like that, when suddenly he heard a voice coming from the entrance.

"May I have your attention please?" The hum in the lounge faded gradually. "Master Shisei is asking everyone into the great hall for refreshments. You are of course welcome to take your pets. There are places at the table prepared for them as well."

Iason and Raoul exchanged glances. Elites throughout the room began to rise and move languidly towards the door. Riki looked up at his master.

"Spare me this fucked up charade, Iason," he said in a sullen voice. "I don't wanna be in there. Besides, I could really use a smoke." It was clear he tried to make his words not to sound like a plea.

Iason gave him a gentle smile. "Of course. Go ahead. Just go outside, you mustn't smoke in here."

Riki nodded. His eyes met Katze's. "You coming?"

The dealer bit the inside of his lip, wondering if he should ask Raoul's permission as well and realizing how hateful this idea was for him. Fortunately Raoul spared him the trouble.

"Sure, go if you want. And Katze," the Blondie added more quietly, "you know you don't have to ask."

"Thanks," Katze murmured and got up just as the black mongrel lifted himself from his pillow.

Whether the brat was going to tease him or not, it was better than taking part in the 'fucked up charade' as Riki had nicely put it. He would eventually have to confront the kid anyway. Couldn't be his boss talking to him just via mail.

Iason looked after the two, taking in the picture. The feeling he'd been trying to stifle for a few days hit him with redoubled strength. His two mongrels. How beautiful they were. Why had it never occurred to him that Katze was so attractive? He could even compete with Riki. Completely different – lacking the irresistibly exotic, wild charm Riki emitted, but tall, perfectly built and more than a little elite-like in appearance, indeed. They both looked better than any pet in the room. Jupiter, why did people spend huge amounts of money to create and buy those cloned, arrogant fools when such wonders walked freely around the streets? Just go to Ceres and catch one – he'll be yours. Iason felt an abrupt and very uncomfortable stiffness in his crotch and was glad that his jacket was long enough to cover it.

"Are we going?" Raoul's voice caught him unawares.

He stirred and shifted his gaze to his friend, trying to get rid of the libidinous thoughts.

"Yes, of course," he forced himself to smile at his friend.

They got up and followed the others to the bigger room.




Riki produced his cigarettes from the pocket of his pants and offered one to Katze. The dealer eyed the pack critically.

"No, thanks, got my own."

"Your loss," the mongrel patted the box affectionately before squeezing it back into his pocket. "Man, how can you not like Dark Vienas?"

Katze just shrugged, deciding that the question didn't require an answer. A moment later they were both smoking, strolling slowly towards the edge of the balcony. There were several groups of pets, walking just as they were or sitting at the cocktail tables, and Katze flinched at the unpleasant thought that he and Riki were actually a part of their number.

"So," the dark youth started in a casual tone. "Heard that your life changed quite a bit."

Katze sighed inwardly. The snot couldn't wait even a minute.

"Yeah? And what did you hear?"

"That a certain Blondie took a fancy to you," there was a sneer in Riki's voice. "A Blondie Raoul Am."

"So it seems," Katze admitted reluctantly and heard Riki's snicker. He stopped on impulse and turned to the other mongrel, annoyed. "And what's so funny about it?"

Riki stopped as well and met his gaze.

"I'll tell you what." He pointed his finger at Katze's chest, almost poking him with it. "You set me up with Iason," the finger jabbed the air in the rhythm of his words. "You were the wicked bastard who helped him set that trap for me. Now you're paying and I'm glad."

Katze blew smoke right into Riki's face, but the black eyes held his gaze without a blink.

"Wow, thanks Riki, I didn't know you love me so much."

"Hey, don't get me wrong, boss. I like you, even though you're one nasty sonnuvabitch. But certain things have to be said. And I think you deserved it. I really hope you feel exactly the way I did."

"And you're so unhappy with Iason, huh? He hurts you, beats you... Dammit, Riki, will you ever start realizing what that guy does for you? I did you a favor!"

Riki had to crane his neck to look at Katze from so close, but it didn't affect his cocky demeanor. He curled his lip defiantly, sticking out his jaw.

"It's not about what he does to me or for me. It's about you screwing me over. You messed with me so don't be surprised I have a laugh now."

"Great, so you do. I got what I deserved, happy? Now, can we please change the subject?"

Riki shrugged almost carelessly. "Sure thing. Once said, it's outta my mind. We're even."

The dealer nodded and breathed deeply in relief. Wasn't that bad after all, was it? He'd expected something worse. They moved on again.

"So, is he screwing you?" The mocking note was back in Riki's voice.

"I said knock it off, Riki!"

The mongrel chuckled, much to Katze's frustration. "Just asking."

A group of three pets was approaching them from the opposite. They could already hear their voices.

"I'm glad you like it," said one of them, a boy of about fourteen, the weirdest composition of curls and clips gracing his blonde head. "It's going to be the rave of the season. Isme and Dirk liked it, too."

"It's gorgeous. Which reminds me, I should ask master Kiira to take me to the hairdresser as well. I'm giving a very important performance in Mistral next week."

"Who isn't?"

They passed Riki and Katze, deliberately turning their pretty heads away and a few instants later the mongrels heard their exaggerated whispers.

"Did you see them? Did you see them? That's that filthy mongrel. Eek, he's ugly."

"Yeah, and old. Did you know that he's already over twenty?"

"Who's the other guy?"

"I don't know. Looked like someone from Midas."

"What's a guy from Midas doing here?"

The voices faded. A few steps later Riki said:

"I'm the ugly one. You're the guy from Midas."

"Yeah, apparently."

They spent a few seconds contemplating that, then Riki spoke again.

"So tell me, how's the business going? You haven't talked to me for a while."

"Quite usual. Craig finally got the stuff from Medea and managed to start a new production line. And Kena is almost done with those enhanced memory chips. There's gonna be some rush in the business in a while. So be ready."

"Yeah," the youth's voice sounded really contented, "I was hoping for something new. I'm gettin' real bored tapping at the keyboard all the time."

"Hey, it's much better than the warehouse, Riki, so don't complain."

"Better by about a micron's worth," the mongrel corrected. "But, yeah, a bit better it is."

They were walking along the ledge now, approaching a table occupied by four beautiful kids, none of whom looked more than fifteen. They grew silent in wordless agreement.

"Do you have any idea who else is going to be there?" one of the male pets asked.

"Everybody, I guess. It's a big event."

"I'm assigned to pair with Orin," some really young girl offered. "What do you know about him? You think we'll make a good couple?"

Another girl, slightly older, pouted her shapely lips with disdain.

"Orin?" she chanted in a sweet, tinkling voice. "But he's a wacko! I wouldn't let that guy put a finger on me! I tell you, honey, he grosses me out. Your master couldn't choose a worse partner for you."

The first one looked truly worried. "You really think so? Oh my, it's going to be my first big performance. It just has to come off right."

"Poor dear," the older girl pitied her good-heartedly. "Try asking your master to choose someone else. Maybe he'll agree."

The younger pet's pink head dropped. "I don't think he will. It's too late already."

If she'd looked up at that moment, she would have seen the other girl's malicious smile.

For a while there was silence at the table. Riki and Katze were just passing by. Then:

"Hey, have you seen those two? Gah!"

It was uttered in a loud, agitated whisper. The following words got more quiet and Katze couldn't discern them. After a few moments the table company broke into high-pitched laughter. Riki shook his head.

"Those birdbrains. Can you imagine I had to spend three years listening to their stupid conversations? They are so conceited. Thinking that being pure-bred Academy freaks makes them better than everybody else. They are oh-so-sweet, but they'd scratch each other's eyes out if they could."

"Hey, you don't have to tell me," Katze observed. "I know all about them, remember?"

"At least no one tries to dress you in those stupid clothes and put you down on their pillows," Riki grumbled.

"I take it you'd rather be a furniture, huh? Get your cock cut off and wipe those little sissies' asses."

The mongrel wrinkled his nose. "Nah."

Katze smirked bitterly under his breath. "Actually, you can't blame pets for what they are. Imagine if they were created smarter. If they were able to think about their future, if they had ambitions other than to show the best public screwing. They would quickly come to the conclusion that their lives are doomed. Because they are. They'd go nuts. They wouldn't be as cheerful and sweet as they are now. Who'd want such pets?"

Riki shook his head. "Man, this world is fucked up."

It sure as hell is, Katze thought, but kept silent. They reached the end of the balcony and leaned against the ledge, finishing their smokes. Another group of pets was approaching.

"Have you seen Ameth's new hairstyle? It's so ridiculous."

"Yeah, he's boasting about it to everybody. It's supposed to be this new fashion."

"Everyone's laughing at him."

"Have you heard what Isme said? That he looks like an unfortunate mistake of a loony artist."

They walked away, giggling.

"I hate them anyway," Riki moaned.

They spent another half an hour standing there, discussing the black market, trying to ignore the pets passing them, discussing their garments. And Ameth's hairstyle, and sex. And sometimes throwing out some whispered comments about the 'filthy mongrel' and the 'red-haired weirdo' standing by the ledge.

Katze was finishing his second cigarette when Riki asked casually:

"And the hacker problem? How's it going?"

The dealer winced unhappily. "Don't ask."

"That bad? But I heard you had a lead."

"Old news, Riki. It was a dead end and nothing new has come up since then." He glanced at his cigarette thoughtfully. "Maybe I overlooked something, I don't know. I tried everything I could think of. How the hell do you find a guy when you've got nothing but his general appearance and one not too specific detail. No name, not even his nick. No associates, no other traces. How come was I supposed to find a phantom like that?"

Riki shrugged. "I dunno."

For a moment Katze wondered how much the kid knew and if it was safe to tell him – he wasn't any black market big shot after all. Ah, screw it, sure it was safe. The brat was trustworthy. And the case probably lost anyway.

"But maybe you know him," he offered ironically, "Green-haired guy of about thirty. Tall, slim, short hair. With a tattoo on his right hand. That's all we have."

Riki scratched his nose and asked offhandedly. "What tattoo?"

"I don't exactly know. Something longish. With a pattern. A zigzag or something."

The mongrel thought for a moment. "Zigzag, you mean, like on a snake?"

Katze frowned considering it. "Yeah, could be."

"And this tattoo was only on his hand or also on his arm and shoulder?"

"Not sure. The guy had his jacket on," he glanced questioningly at the youth, a thrill suddenly tugging at his guts. "Riki, have you seen something like that?"

"On a green-haired, tall guy of about thirty? Actually, yes," the mongrel grinned widely. "Remember that guy Viper, the one you sent me to with the Accelerator? It sounds like him."

Katze felt his hand clench on the rail.

"Shit," he cursed. With a sharp movement he tossed the cigarette over the ledge, then forgetting about Riki at once, turned on his heel and hurried inside.

Riki stared after him, wide-eyed.




"So you see, just theoretically, such a mongrel would make a perfect pet," Raoul said contentedly to the small group of elites settled comfortably on the suite of sofas and armchairs.

Katze stopped at the balcony door, looking at the Blondie incredulously. What was this poor bastard doing?

The repast was over. The guests were again scattered all around the room. Raoul stood beside the sofa, towering happily over the others and playing with his glass.

"You're forgetting one thing, Raoul. A pet can't be castrated. Pets' main purpose is to entertain their masters, mainly by copulating in front of them. A castrate would be completely out of place in such a situation."

Raoul gave out a short, dry laughter. "Oh, come now, Aisha, don't tell me that castrates can't copulate."

Katze couldn't bear listening to it any longer. And he had a more important thing to take care of. He stepped towards the group.

"Well, of course they can," the Blondie Aisha agreed. "But I don't think watching a eunuch copulating would be very amusing."

"Or maybe it would," someone teased. "Just not in the way you mean."

The group hummed with soft elite laughter. The sound faded, however, when Katze approached. Raoul shifted his questioning gaze to him. The dealer stopped beside the Blondie, turning half away from the others and trying to ignore the weight of their stares on his shoulders.

"We have to talk, Raoul," he said in a low voice.

The biologist gave him a disapproving glance. "Now? Please, Katze, can't you see I'm busy?"

"I can see," Katze murmured spitefully. "But it's important. Business matters."

"Katze, we're at a party! Put business aside."

Katze rolled his eyes and leaned even closer, practically whispering into Raoul's ear.

"It's about the hacker. I think we've got him. Please."

The Blondie drew in a quick breath, but that was his only visible reaction. His gaze switched back to his audience.

"Gentlemen, if you'll excuse me," he gave the others an apologetic smile. "Business turned out to be more important after all."

With that he turned and moved away. Katze followed him silently. At least now those guys might start believing that he really was the Blondie's assistant.

They stopped in the nearest recess, all groups of people distant enough for them not to be heard.

"How?" Raoul asked.

"I was talking with Riki. And just by accident it turned out that the brat met our guy while running one of my black market affairs. This tattoo, Raoul, was a snake. The man contacted me a while ago to buy some stuff from me. You know what that means?"

Raoul frowned. "That we now have not only the guy, but the guy on a string. Since he had business with you, it will be possible to trail his connections. We'll investigate where this order came from and who stands behind the bastard. If we are lucky, it may even lead us to the very core of the case."

Katze grinned at him. "Exactly."

Raoul was momentarily flooded by happiness at seeing the knowing, shrewd expression on his mongrel's face. So, no grudge anymore. He hoped so.

"Listen now," the dealer said. "I can't just sit here, watching all this crap, knowing that the answer is waiting for me at home. I'd like to take off already. Hope you don't mind."

"I don't. I'm going with you."

Katze looked at him. "No need to, Raoul, really."

"But I want to. I won't be able to just sit here either. We'll go."

So Katze just nodded and they went to find the party's hosts.

Excusing themselves to Kano was a hard task. The man expressed his deep discontent with their departure and for a few long minutes pestered them to stay, at least for the pet show. Finally Raoul bought them out, promising the Platina he'd meet him some other time soon. They left through the back door, sparing themselves endless courtesies with the others. A moment later they were in the elevator. Raoul signaled for the limo, pressing a little button on his Blondie's bracelet.

"What were you doing up there?" Katze offered around the quiet hum of the lift. "Trying to bury your reputation?"

Raoul turned to him, his gaze questioning, and only after a moment was it replaced by understanding.

"Oh, we were just having a little theoretical discussion. They started. Each one boasting about their pet, so I decided to put them on the spot." He looked at the dealer's frowning face. "What? You care?"

"I don't," Katze answered quickly. "I just don't want to get burned because of your big mouth."

The Blondie surprised him with low, sensual laughter. No more words were spoken.

The elevator stopped and they stepped into the parking lot. The car had already pulled up on the driveway. They got in. The Blondie turned to Katze and looked at him, fervor in his eyes.

"Katze," he spoke in an even, firm voice. "May I kiss you?"

The dealer frowned at him. "Since when do you need my permission?"

Raoul considered that. "Right."

He grabbed Katze's face in both hands, pulled him close and pressed their lips together. It wasn't a passionate kiss – Raoul didn't kiss passionately. It was merely the clumsily enthusiastic kiss of euphoria. After a few moments the dealer pushed himself away, unable to suppress a nervous snigger.

"Hey, stop it! You're crushing me."

Raoul was grinning maniacally, but let him go.

"Drive," he gave a short order.

Katze pressed a few buttons on the control panel and the car glided from the lot.




Back in the condo, they headed straight for Katze's room. The dealer threw off his jacket and sat at the terminal right away. He turned it on and waited for it to be ready to operate. His fingers played an impatient, hasty rhythm on the panel next to the keyboard, as if preparing for work they were about to do. Raoul could feel a strange intensity radiating from the mongrel.

He looked around for a chair and spotted it in one of the corners. He pulled it up to where Katze sat in front of the screen. The dealer cast him a sidelong glance.

"Just thought maybe I could help you somehow."

"I don't think so," Katze said, and only after a moment remembered to show the proper respect. "Don't get me wrong, Raoul, but I know what to do."

Intensity and self-confidence, the Blondie corrected himself. Was Katze always like this when he was hacking?

"Well, I'm sure. But it's too important a matter for me to just go to my room and do my things."

The computer signaled that it was ready. The dealer turned to the monitor with a short shrug. "As you wish. But it might take a while."

"How long?"

Another shrug. While the hands were already tapping the keys, starting programs, getting through to the net. Katze's eyes reflected the glow of the screen.

"Up to a few hours, I guess. It depends."

"I'll wait."

"I suggest you change into something more suitable then. Maybe get a book... It really won't be very interesting."

But Raoul just shook his head firmly. "I'll wait."

After an hour, however, when he finally admitted he indeed wouldn't be of much help, he decided that changing out of his rather uncomfortable evening ensemble was a good idea. As well as the book.

He left Katze's room, but was back as fast as he could, fearing that the dealer might have found an answer in the meantime. But Katze was still sitting as he had been when Raoul was leaving, so apparently nothing new had occurred. The Blondie settled himself back in his chair and started reading, but after another half an hour decided that Katze's bed was a better place for him.

He sat on the mattress. Ugh, it wasn't too comfortable. A strange thought flashed in his mind that from the beginning of his stay here Katze had never had a chance to sleep in this bed. Unless of course he sometimes slept during the day.

It wasn't long before he reasoned that the prone position was more convenient than sitting one and laid down on his side, propping his head on one hand.

He continued reading. Katze continued hacking. Hours passed. The ventilation hummed quietly, inhaling the cigarette smoke.

It probably got dark outside, Raoul couldn't tell since there was no window in Katze's room. He checked the time on his bracelet. 22:17. Jupiter, it was taking long. He yawned and went back to his book.

Soon the letters started to blur and his head became heavy. He decided that making himself more horizontal – the bed comfortable or not – was definitely a tempting solution. He could rest, just for a few minutes, before starting the next chapter. He closed the book and put his head down, stretching his back with delight. He let reality slip away.

Next thing he knew, his name was being called from a distance and someone was shaking his shoulder.

"Raoul, wake up."

He reluctantly opened his eyes to see slanting, amber slits glinting down at him. His memory came back in an instant. Katze's room, the terminal, their lead... the answer? He sat up abruptly.

"Did you find it?"

"Yeah."

"And?"

"You won't like it."

He got up and sat in Katze's chair in front of the screen. He stared at it for a long moment, not quite getting what he saw. There was a lot of it, many display boxes opened, each of them full of text and numbers. He would have to read it all to fully understand it. But as he quickly ran his eyes over some of the data, one thing became clear.

"I don't believe it," Raoul whispered.

One name stared at him from among the texts and numbers in most of the boxes. The name was Shisei Kano.



On Hire – chapter 5 << >> On Hire – chapter 7

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start