On Hire

by Lena (language corrections by Shayne and Phaedra7veils)

Chapter 8

The great hall was only dimly lit by the lamp standing next to the sofa. In the twilight it seemed much smaller and more cozy. Reo had been long asleep in his room. Without his silent presence, with only the two of them around, the parlor gained a strange air of intimacy.

Raoul sat on the sofa, continuing to look like a kicked puppy. Katze refused to take a rest. He kept pacing the room back and forth, avoiding looking at the Blondie. He didn't want to see him like that, this sorry demeanor simply didn't fit one of the most powerful men on Amoi.

"Is there really nothing you can do?" he asked more on principle than hoping for any positive answer. "If you sue him..."

"If I sue him, he'll drag out my black market affairs and you know it," Raoul interrupted impatiently. "Please, Katze, you know better than to ask stupid questions."

Right, Katze bridled. That's what you get for trying to be nice. But he knew the Blondie was right. The truth was he didn't see any good way out of it.

"And what about the experiment you started? You've got the breed in your own labs as well. What about them?"

"We'll settle it. Somehow. Probably." Raoul shrugged. "We'll make it official that I bought rights for one set of the breed. Something like that. Kano won't take them, they have my imprint. But we'll settle it. I hope."

"So you will have some money from it."

"Oh yes," the Blondie sneered. "A micron part of what I could have. Maybe enough to compensate the infuriated sponsors." He paused for a long moment, swallowed, shook his head. "But it isn't about money. It's about me. It's about that I failed. I failed Iason and all those people involved. I failed myself. I screwed up, for Jupiter's sake!"

Katze stopped in mid-step. He closed his eyes and sighed.

"You did what you thought was right."

But Raoul didn't seem to hear him. "Just look at it. We conducted the investigation. No, you conducted it, because I wasn't able to help you. You figured out which data had been stolen, you found the net café, then Viper, and finally Kano. All we achieved in this case was thanks to you. There was only one thing that was up to me. And I screwed up. I screwed up completely."

Katze couldn't take it any longer. Damn, the Blondie was wallowing in self-pity. Before he could to stop himself, he turned to Raoul and closed the distance between them in two long strides. He leaned over the biologist and grabbed him by his arms.

"Stop talking bullshit, Blondie," he shook the broad shoulders before him. "In the situation we had there, there were only two ways out. Neither of them good. But you chose the better one. Got it? You might have failed Iason, although I don't think so. You might have failed, well, whoever else. But you didn't fail me. Do you understand?"

Raoul looked at him, perplexed. On impulse, Katze sank down on the couch beside him, pulling one knee onto the cushions. He wrapped his arms around the Blondie strongly and rested his chin on Raoul's shoulder. A faint thought crossed his mind that he'd just hugged his tormentor, the man who'd practically raped him a few days ago. To hug him was, by all means, inappropriate. But at the moment he didn't care. At the moment he just felt like doing this. To hell with all the resentments.

They stayed like that for long minutes, in complete silence, unmoving. It was good, Katze thought. It was good to sit like that and hold the Blondie. To feel him in his arms, for once not dominant, not imperious. It felt... peaceful. He closed his eyes and almost fell asleep. It was only Raoul's voice that brought him back to reality.

"Katze." The voice was calm and even. And strained to the limit. "I think I need to take it out somehow. Right now I feel like crushing something. If I don't let off stream, I'll go insane. I want to use you tonight. I don't think one time will be enough."

Katze's arms tensed on the Blondie for an instant and a barely audible gasp escaped him. But then he brought his lips to Raoul's temple, and the Blondie felt – not a kiss – but a brush of hot air of the dealer's breath.

"Alright."

He was still for yet another moment. Then he pulled back slowly, releasing the Blondie from his grasp and waiting. Raoul rose and looked down at him.

"Let's go," he said quietly.

Katze got up and followed him into the bedroom.




"What's gonna happen now?"

Iason turned his head to look at Riki. The mongrel sat on the end of the sofa, back against the armrest, arms wrapped around his bent knees.

"What do you mean, what's going to happen?"

"You know. With Raoul. You told me that if you don't solve this problem, he might lose his position. Well, you... we didn't solve it."

Iason shifted his gaze to the table and studied its plain surface, pondering.

"We won't allow this matter to become public," he said. "We'll keep it within the closed circle of people who already know about it. We'll pay them for their silence if necessary. This way we'll cut our losses as much as possible. Raoul's position will suffer, that's inevitable. But I don't think it's something that can't be rebuilt. If he takes care of matters properly, he will regain it in a while."

"So you think he'll recover?"

"Sooner or later – yes. I am positive."

"Don't you think they'll eat him alive? All those partners and sponsors."

The Blondie smirked. "If they even think about it, they will have me to deal with. No, Riki, I won't let him fall. But I believe he will get by without my help. He is a strong man and a good leader."

For a long moment there was silence. Riki watched Iason curiously. "You really don't mind him for his decision, do you?"

A small smile rose on Iason's beautiful lips. "Riki," the Blondie said firmly, "this man has been giving me so-called shit about you since the moment I took you from Ceres. I was really beginning to think that he is one of those mindless snobs who can't see the value past the envelope. I'm glad it turned out otherwise. As for the money..." he shrugged, "don't we both have enough of it?"

Riki felt his own lips stretch into a smile as well. "I'm glad you say that."

He really was. He hadn't expected that Iason showing his human side would make him so glad. And he was grateful. Grateful for this conversation, for being spoken to like a human and partner, answered and not dismissed. For once Riki didn't feel looked down on. For once he felt... safe with Iason.

Giving in to some strange impulse, he stretched his leg and reached out to the Blondie. His bare foot touched the other man's thigh, the toes pressed lightly.

"Ya know, make sure you tell him that. 'Cause at the moment the guy thinks you hate him."

Iason looked down at Riki's foot. Then up at Riki again. Their gazes met, and stayed locked.

"Let's go to bed, Riki," he said simply.

"Yeah, let's go to bed," the mongrel agreed.

Iason blinked, surprised at not having heard any complaints from his pet. But then he accepted it as his due. He rose and took Riki's hand. He led them to the bedroom, and the youth followed him without a word of protest.

They made love for hours. Riki never asked him to stop. He eagerly plastered his tanned body to Iason and bent into the caress. The Blondie shivered, feeling his mongrel's lips kiss his throat and jaw, hands stroke his backside... Riki was always very responsive, but never like that, never returning his caresses, never so active and inviting... They both climaxed, repeatedly and hard. Finally, too tired to continue, they just lay curled together in silence.




Raoul used Katze many times that night, riding him repeatedly and ruthlessly to vent his own anger and frustration. He must have lost himself in that, because when at some point an especially agonizing hiss brought him back to his senses, he realized that he'd been hearing those noises for quite a while already. He stopped and looked down at the pale face. He saw it twisted into a painful frown, the lower lip caught between teeth. Suddenly he became aware that down there, under the quilt, there was much more sticky dampness than usual. The leftovers of his adrenaline-fueled arousal vanished without a trace in one instant. He swore inwardly. But then wasn't able to care anymore. He just slumped down on the thin body beneath, panting hard.

He was surprised that Katze didn't try to push him away and get free as usual. Instead the dealer's arms stayed around him and he heard a quiet whisper in his ear:

"Next time you need to let off stream, or prove to yourself that you're a tough guy, go to the gym and try some normal exercises."

"I'm sorry." That was all Raoul was able to say.

"And about the breed, Raoul," the whispering voice firmed. "You did right."

Raoul moaned as he felt that something inside him broke.




The day was slowly breaking over Eos, witnessed by two couples still awake after an extremely restless night. They were very strange couples. Similar, and yet different. Their very existence was scandalous as in each of them a Blondie was involved. But even more outrageous was the fact that in both cases the other half of the couple was a mongrel.

One couple had an over four-year history and an overwhelming, dark, morbid fascination hidden behind their bond. That fascination had lasted unchanged for all this time and made their lovemaking such an intense and electrifying experience that neither of them could resist. Everything divided them. They were two opposites, separated by an impassable social gap, intellectual level, beliefs and outlook, but wedged together by mutual attraction – powerful, but dangerous and destructive. Even when they lay entwined, welcoming the new day in silence, they looked like each other's antithesis – one small, dark, short-haired; the other tall and fair, with wonderful long locks. They made the most beautiful composition, but based on contrasts.

The other couple lacked history. Nor was the passion between them that strong. One might doubt that – at least from the mongrel's side – any passion existed at all. The sex they shared was neither intense nor electrifying, it was actually a poor travesty of sex. But the differences between them weren't that strong either. Closer in age, social status, maybe even matching each other in mental abilities. They could work together, talk together, they even understood each other quite well. They lay face to face, exchanging short, quietly spoken words every now and then. Both fair-skinned, comparable in size and beauty. There was harmony in the picture they presented. If nothing else, they were a good match.




Kyaru welcomed Katze when the elevator doors swooshed open and led him to the parlor.

"Master Iason, sir Katze has arrived," the furniture announced and let him through, withdrawing into the hall at once.

The Blondie sat on the sofa by the window in his usual self-confident pose – cross-legged, straight, with a wine glass in his hand. Magnificent. Katze swallowed hard at the sight. Damn, he'd almost forgotten how it felt to be around Iason. He slowly moved in his former master's direction.

A slender bottle and another glass sat on the table before the Blondie. Iason nodded a short greeting and gestured for Katze to sit down.

"Wine, Katze? The last shipment from Quebecca," he said, pointing his chin at the bottle. "I strongly recommend it."

Katze wasn't a drinker. Whenever offered a stimulant, he chose his smokes. But this time somehow the alcohol seemed a good idea.

"Yes, please."

Iason filled the remaining glass and reached over the table to hand it to him.

"So," he spoke. "You're probably wondering why I asked you to come."

Katze did wonder. It was the middle of the day, and here they were, in Iason's condo. The Blondie had taken the day off to see him. That in itself was strange – they could just as easily meet at the Syndicate headquarters or in the evening. And the fact that Iason didn't want to tell him anything through the comm was even more surprising. The matter didn't appear to concern work. And if not work, then what? The distant idea that rolled through Katze's head made him feel uneasy.

Iason smiled, looking at him and apparently guessing his thoughts.

"I wanted to discuss the question of your... affiliation with you," he said.

Katze moaned inwardly. Yes, exactly the issue he feared.

"As you probably know," the Blondie continued in his even voice, "the trial period is coming to an end. There are less than two weeks left. So I am naturally curious as to how things stand between you and Raoul. After all, it's the matter of your future. I need to know whether you are prepared to stay with him."

"I..." Katze started and swallowed, "I thought it wasn't up to me. I thought that would be up to Raoul to decide. Whether he gets bored, whether I... come up to his expectations."

"Yes. That was a part of the deal," Iason admitted calmly. "But another part was your work. As you know, Raoul promised not to interfere with what you do for me. What we didn't tell you – for a natural reason – was my condition. I agreed to give you to him only when those two months proved that your—mutual relations wouldn't affect your black market performance."

Katze stared at him for a long moment. His mind was blank, except for the big 'oh' forming in it.

"They didn't affect it," he observed somewhat dumbly.

"No."

"So I still don't see why you're asking me."

The beautiful lips curved minimally. "Yes, indeed." The Blondie raised his glass to his mouth and took a long sip. Then, instead of answering, he said. "We've known each other for quite some time now, have we not, Katze? Eleven years makes a whole lot of history. People become attached."

Iason's strange behavior was making Katze more and more surprised. He frowned, unable to tear his eyes away from the Blondie.

"What are you saying?"

"Just that... I might not want to give you away. Just that I realized lately that I might not want to see you with Raoul. That somewhere during that time I formed a bond I don't want to break."

Katze's heart pounded abruptly at those words. He gazed at Iason, wide-eyed, while the Blondie continued.

"But I don't have to give you away. I'm sure that if I tell Raoul that I changed my mind, he will bend to my will. In any case, we might use a little deception. Now that you know about my condition, you can simulate some black market crash. A few days are enough to do it. So you see, the cards are entirely in your hands now. The decision is yours, not his. Make one move, and you'll be back with me."

Katze was still unable to utter a sound. Iason's next words literally knocked him back in his seat.

"I also know he is taking you." This sounded like a challenge. The Blondie's eyes were boring right through him. "And I know he didn't ask your opinion when he dragged you to his bed. I am guessing you are not exactly happy about it." The word 'happy' had a significant inflection, suggesting that whatever Katze felt, it was very far from happiness.

The stem of the half-emptied glass clicked against the table top as Katze put it down abruptly. He leaned forward and buried his head in his hands, his fingers combing through his hair.

"Hell, Iason, you sure know how to floor a man. What am I supposed to tell you?" He was glad his face was hidden, otherwise the Blondie would see the opulent flush that flooded his cheeks. "Yes, he is taking me. And no, I'm not exactly happy about it. But what do you care? You allowed it."

"Like I said, I only recently realized that I am quite attached to your person," came the flat answer. "I did allow it then, but people change their minds." There were a few moments of suspenseful silence. "He doesn't care for your needs when he does this to you, right?" And after another pause. "I could show you much more."

Slowly, Katze raised his head and looked at Iason through his fingers. The Blondie was studying him thoughtfully over the glass.

"What did you say?" the dealer asked incredulously.

"Exactly what you heard. I could show you more. Even a castrate can feel a strong pleasure if taken care of properly. If touched in right places. That's an offer, Katze. If you come back to me, you'll have a place in my bed."

The world is falling apart, Katze thought, peering at the Blondie in disbelief. The world is falling apart and reality is going crazy. He blinked, half expecting that Iason would disappear from sight. But the Blondie was still there. Very real, very Iason-like.

"What about Riki?" he asked, his voice faint, almost faltering.

"Riki comes first for me. Always will. I have no intention of putting him aside if that is your question. But you may be my second. Just after him."

He closed his eyes, because he suddenly felt dizzy. Damn, he was dreaming. He was fuckin' dreaming! He ran his hand over his face to calm his raging emotions.

"Did you at least ask his opinion on the matter?" he breathed.

"I don't need to ask his opinion."

Right. In spite of the hard shock gripping his guts, Katze felt bitter laughter rising in his throat.

"You don't, do you?" he sneered. "And you don't care that you might hurt him that way. Or me. Do you realize that you've just treated me like a cheap whore? You're such a... Blondie, Iason."

He knew what was coming and didn't try to evade it. Iason was above him in a blink. An iron hand grabbed him by his jacket and dragged him up like a rag doll. A moment later a wall smacked hard against his back.

Again.

What is it with these Blondies? – a distant thought crossed Katze's mind.

He expected a blow, but it didn't come. Instead Iason held him pinned to the wall with one hand while the other was suddenly on Katze, moving down his side to his stomach in a way that sent shivers through his whole body.

"Like you said, Katze," Iason hissed. "I don't need to excuse my actions to anyone. Because, yes, I am a Blondie. Riki will get used to it. He'll have to. And as for you, you should be flattered."

He leaned even closer, bringing his lips to the dealer's ear.

"I could show you so much more," he whispered fervently. "I could give you far more pleasure than he gives you. Because I want to. Because I know how to do it. And because I know you want it too."

The lips caught Katze's earlobe and bit lightly, making him gasp. Hot breath traced along his jaw. The hand moved from his stomach to his crotch and cupped it skillfully. Katze whimpered, his fingers digging helplessly into the Blondie's arms.

"You might lack part of your anatomy down there, but what is left can definitely get hard," Iason purred, kissing his jaw.

Poor remains of Katze's genitals were indeed at full attention. He didn't even know he was capable of such a strong response. Even being regularly fucked by Raoul never made him feel that way. If he reacted, the reaction was so much weaker. And Iason was only touching him... He panted when the hand on his groin pressed harder and started rubbing him through his pants. The Blondie's lips reached his chin and moved up. Before Katze could think, they were on his own lips and he was opening his mouth in submission.

Iason chuckled through the kiss.

"You're responsive. Good. I like that."

The lips were fierce and demanding, exploring Katze's mouth ruthlessly, making him short of breath. The world danced around them. The dealer shut his eyes, unable to resist the bliss, returning the kiss just as eagerly. It was more than a few seconds before he regained some shred of control. He braced himself and turned his head away, breaking the contact.

"Stop it!" he breathed. "Stop it, Iason, please!"

Iason pulled back a little to look at him. And then was kissing his jaw again, sending another wave of heat down Katze's spine.

"Stop!" the dealer pushed his hands against the other man, but the Blondie was like a rock. The lips moved down to his neck, delivering the most incredible sensation. Katze moaned, throwing his head back, bumping it against the wall. "Stop," he forced the voice through his throat. "You can't... do this. I... ah!... I belong to Raoul now."

Iason did stop. He blinked at Katze. And Katze blinked at him, unable to believe the words that had just left his mouth.

"What did you say?"

The dealer swallowed. Gods, what was he doing? His almost eleven-year dream was just coming true, it was probably his only chance. Here he was, kissing Iason for the first time. And it surpassed every sexual experience of his entire life. He wished, craved for more.

But one nagging thought didn't let him give in to his craving. What about Raoul?

"I said..." he exhaled, regaining his breath, "that I belonged to Raoul now."

A frown appeared on the beautiful face. "Is that your decision?"

Katze's hand clenched into fist on Iason's shoulder, crumpling the Blondie's cloak. He looked into those light blue eyes that for once were so close.

"Yes."

A moment passed in silence.

"I admit that's not what I expected."

"But that's what it is," his lips kept moving with surprising firmness. "You have given me the choice, so respect it now. I choose to stay with Raoul. I won't simulate any crash. And you, please, don't try to take me away from him. Be fair with him, Iason. He is your friend."

The hand on the crotch pulled back abruptly. Iason looked at him incredulously.

"Do you love him?"

"No!" Katze exclaimed. The idea was so ridiculous that he couldn't help a smirk.

"And me?"

His jaw contracted. His throat moved nervously when he swallowed.

"I know you do," Iason pressed.

Katze kept silent, staring at the Blondie. He didn't want to admit it. But lacked strength to deny it. And he knew his silence was enough of an answer. Iason eyed him for yet another moment.

"Then why?"




When Riki entered the great hall, a strange sight met his eyes. Iason and Katze stood at the far end of the room, facing each other. One of the Blondie's hands held the dealer's shoulder, pinning it to the wall. The other disappeared somewhere between them and, judging by its position, Riki could guess where exactly... and couldn't believe it.

They talked in low voices, but both seemed agitated. Riki leaned against the wall, just beside the door, poked his hands into the pockets and watched. Only after a long moment did Katze spot him, meeting his gaze over Iason's shoulder... and froze. Probably noticing the redhead's expression, after yet another moment Iason turned his head as well and, seeing Riki, took one step away from his former furniture.

Katze mumbled something to the Blondie and practically shot from his place, almost jostling Iason's shoulder on his way. He strode swiftly to the door, slowing his pace only when he reached Riki.

"I'm sorry, kid," he muttered and passed him without saying anything more.

The mongrel's eyes searched for Iason. His master stood, still half turned away from him, looking at him over his shoulder.

"Did that bother you?" the elite asked.

Riki smirked. "I guess you shouldn't ask me that."

"No."

"And I guess I should say I don't give a damn."

The Blondie closed his eyes. Riki pushed himself away from the wall and went for the balcony.

Listening to his pet's retreating steps, Iason stifled a sudden urge to slam his head against the wall. The whole thing with Katze... damn, he'd been an idiot.




He joined Riki on the balcony a few minutes later. The mongrel didn't turn to look at him when he came to a stop behind him.

"I didn't expect you," Iason offered.

Riki gave a slight shrug to his shoulders. "You mentioned yesterday that you were taking a day off so I just—"

"Decided to come to me? Riki..."

"I was bored. The good bars don't open 'til after 19:00 and I got no assignments for today. What?" he jeered. "Did I interrupt your little tete-a-tete here? What the hell was that about, Iason?"

"It seems I..." for a moment Iason looked for a good way to put it, "yielded to a temporary fascination with Katze lately. But it's gone already."

"Gone already?" Riki gave a short, dry laugh. "Iason, you were groping the man's balls five minutes ago. You expect me to believe it?"

"Yes. I was... touching him, but he told me to stop. He said 'no' to me, Riki," there was a little broken note in Iason's voice. "He chose to stay with Raoul. And he told me to respect his decision. I think he was right." He heaved a short breath. "I never, ever intended to put you aside, Riki. Even if it worked with Katze, which I doubt now, I would never put him above you. Do you understand that?"

"So," the youth's tone was noncommittal. "You wanted to try a threesome. A Blondie and his two pets, huh?"

"For a moment – yes," Iason admitted with a slight smile. "But it was a mistake. I was—" a quiet, bitter chuckle escaped his throat, "I guess I was selfish. I'm sorry, Riki."

The mongrel turned around slowly and looked at Iason, surprised. If it were Guy saying this after having groped, say, Sid, it would be hardly enough. Riki would give him hell for the next week at least. But no, it was Iason... The great boss of Tanagura said something like this, called himself selfish, apologized to him – a mongrel, his pet. It was—extraordinary. Or maybe it was just that Riki couldn't find the willpower to fight the Blondie...

"You are the first for me, Riki," Iason said, looking deep into his eyes. "It won't ever change. And I'm trying really hard to make it more bearable for both of us."

Riki breathed. He tossed his cigarette over the ledge and straightened to face the Blondie.

"Yeah, I know," he sighed, resigned. He wasn't even angry anymore.

Iason smiled. "Come here, pet."

"At least don't call me pet."

"All right. Come here, Riki."

The mongrel hesitated for a short while, but then took a step towards his master, closing the space between them. Iason wrapped his arms around him and Riki allowed him to press their bodies together. After a moment his arms slowly, not quite on his command, came around the Blondie.

Iason could feel the slight pull of his pet's tightening embrace. One part of him, turned on by this gesture, wanted to grab the mongrel and drag him to the bedroom at once. But another voice told him that staying here and just hugging like this had its own magic. And that voice was stronger.

"Hey, Iason," Riki's words were muffled by Iason's clothes. "What I told you some time ago – that you never talk to me – I didn't mean it. You do talk. Well," the mongrel added with a little sneer, "at least you try."

Iason chuckled. His hand caressed his pet's back as he pondered over Riki's change of attitude lately. First – the amazing sex they had last night, now this... Maybe, just maybe, the moment he'd been waiting for so long was finally approaching. Maybe, some day soon, Riki would really be his...




When Raoul came home, Katze was sitting in the great hall, sunk deep in an armchair. The Blondie was surprised seeing him here. Usually the redhead would be in his room, in front of the computer, working.

Katze was smoking, his gaze unmoving, fixed on some distant point before him. He seemed to be in a kind of trance, he completely ignored Raoul's arrival. Didn't say 'hi', didn't give him even a fleeting glance.

The Blondie walked over to him and studied his face.

"Something wrong?"

"Nah..." the answer was flat, inexpressive. And a moment later, "I told Iason to go to hell."

Raoul blinked. "You did what?"

Only now did Katze look at him. He smirked.

"Well, I didn't actually say that to him. I just... He offered me to take me away from you. I think he got kinda jealous. Can you imagine that? Iason jealous of you. Over me."

Raoul frowned and sat down on the glass table before Katze. He looked at the mongrel curiously. Body slumped loosely seemed almost limp, legs slightly apart, hands on the armrests. Katze looked like a very tired person.

"What exactly did he say?" he asked.

The dealer took the cigarette out of his mouth and blew the smoke to the side.

"He invited me to his place today. He wanted to talk to me – about this deal you two made over me. He asked me questions. Wanted to know how things were between you and me. And then he gave me a choice. He told me that if I came back to him, everything would be different. That I would become his second, just after Riki." Katze's eyes fixed on Raoul's intensely. "He offered me a place in his bed, Raoul."

Raoul watched the redhead seriously. Iason offered you a place in his bed and you told him to go to hell? On reflex, he bent forward and stroked Katze's scarred cheek. The dealer didn't move back, although Raoul knew how much he hated being touched there.

"Katze..."

"I told him what you once told me. That if I only came second for him, I'd rather stay with you."

Katze smiled bitterly. He didn't try to make his words pleasant for the Blondie, but Raoul didn't seem to take offence. On the contrary, the hand stroking his cheek didn't leave.

"You want to stay with me?" the biologist echoed.

"And what good could I possibly get putting myself into that sort of situation with Iason? I don't believe in his sudden feelings for me. He would use me – a few times – then he'd get bored. And even if he didn't... He has Riki, he loves him. And you... or me... whom do we have?"

"What if there was no Riki?"

Katze frowned. "But that's not how it is. There is Riki. No point in deliberating what would have been if there wasn't."

"But what if?" Raoul repeated.

Katze shook his head. "No. I don't want to think about it. They are good together. That's how it should be."

He fell silent, taken aback by his own words. Who would have thought? No more than two months ago he'd been torturing himself with that fantasy almost every day. What if there was no Riki? What if Iason suddenly lost interest in the brat? He'd been so sure that it would have been better for everyone. And now...

"Yeah," Raoul smiled, his voice light, slightly surprised as well. "They are good together, aren't they? And we aren't that bad together either."

For a long moment Katze stared at him silently. Finally he spoke feebly. "I guess we aren't."

Raoul traced his thumb along the rough texture of the scar. The redhead sat motionless, giving in to the caress.

"I'm not giving you much, am I?" the Blondie murmured. "You don't get much pleasure in bed with me, you think I don't know it? But I don't think I can suddenly change and become more than I am for you now. I won't stop taking you. Maybe... if you're given a chance to leave, you should use it."

Katze half closed his eyes, his expression slightly exasperated. "You've lost enough lately, Raoul, you won't lose me."

"You pity me?"

"I appreciate what you did. And... you're giving me enough. I don't need more."

Strangely taken by those words, Raoul leaned even closer. So close that their faces were just inches apart. He took a long look into those amber eyes, burying his fingers in the red hair.

"Thank you," he whispered and only by the force of his will managed not to pull Katze into close embrace. It wouldn't be good, to get sentimental like that. "Thank you," he whispered again and pulled back quickly. Suddenly a thought flashed in his mind. He smiled, breaking the grave atmosphere of the moment. "So. How about a little celebration? Vultain's this evening?"

But Katze shook his head. "I don't think I'm in good enough shape to go out in public tonight." There was a little, sad smirk in his voice. "Give me a break Raoul, you'll have me for... well, as long as you wish. You'll have time to celebrate."

Raoul wasn't very disappointed. After all – yes, as long as he wished.

"Very well," he nodded. "It's your evening then. Use it as you wish, I won't bother you."

"Thanks," the dealer smiled. Then he pointed his finger at Raoul and added more briskly. "Hey, and you don't touch me tonight. I'm one big wound down there."

The Blondie winced. "Don't worry, I didn't mean to. It would be unhygienic. Besides, I don't want my sheets stained again."

Katze almost rolled his eyes. "Right."




It was a few minutes past 21:00 when the door to Katze's room opened. Raoul stood on the threshold, dressed in informal house clothes, with a book in his hand.

"May I?" He looked almost embarrassed. "I know I gave you the evening off, but I thought that my reading a book in here wouldn't disturb you."

Katze sent him a small smile. "Of course it wouldn't. Come in."

So the Blondie did.

"You are working?"

"Yup." The dealer turned to the monitor.

Raoul gave a little huff of amusement as he sank down on the bed.

"Just look at you. You were given a free evening and what you do? Work."

Katze shot him a slightly irritated glance. "Hey, that's how my evenings went before... you. I was given the evening off so I use it the way I always did."

"Remind me not to ever give you evenings off anymore," Raoul murmured teasingly, stretching out on the mattress. "In the long term they won't do you any good."

Katze tightened his lips as a snort threatened to escape them and decided that further discussion would be pointless. He turned to the computer again. On the bed, Raoul supported his head with his hand and opened the book. That's how they stayed for the next few hours, only the rustle of turning pages and Katze's barely audible murmur broke the silence now and then.

A few minutes past two in the morning the dealer decided that he had enough. Damn, going to bed at midnight – excluding those few minutes of sex – had changed his daily habits. He was feeling sleepy already.

Raoul had been dozing on the bed for at least an hour already. Katze looked at the lovely picture the biologist presented. Head thrown slightly back, golden hair scattered around it, revealing the perfect face, a little smile on the lips. And what was he going to do with a Blondie in his bed?

He got up and shook the Blondie's shoulder.

"Raoul, wake up."

He received only an inarticulate, blissful purr in response.

"Raoul, it's two in the morning, time to go to bed."

"Mmmph... in bed... ...ready."

A Blondie. Just look at him. This time Raoul did lack his dignity.

Katze shook him again. "Please."

But Raoul ignored him completely. He just turned more to his side and buried his face in the bolster. Great. Katze sighed and went to the bathroom to wash up.

He was back a few minutes later, dressed in his pajamas. He hovered over the sleeping man, staring down at him. It didn't look like there was any chance of detaching Raoul from his nest any time soon. So?

He looked around, thinking. He could go to Raoul's bedroom and take his bed. Yes, he could, but it somehow seemed ridiculous – sleeping in the Blondie's bed even when the Blondie wasn't there. No.

He could spend the night on the couch in the great hall, but dragging himself there with a blanket seemed silly as well. Reo would definitely go bug-eyed in the morning on seeing him. In his own room he could only use the floor. Or...

He sat on the bed. There was no point in evading it. After all, he'd picked this fate for himself. He hated the thought of himself actually choosing to sleep with the Blondie, but who was he trying to fool? He'd known that by making this decision he would land in Raoul's bed for good.

Slowly, he lay down on his side.

"Hey, move over, Blondie, you're taking the whole bed."

To his surprise, Raoul did exactly as he was told. Katze reached for the blanket folded at their feet and spread it over both of them. Using a remote control on the nightstand, he switched off the light.

He put his head on the bolster. For a few moments he lay like that, eyes open, staring into the darkness. Then a hand slumped heavily over him and the Blondie pulled him closer, giving another low murmur. The pleasant warmth of another body seeped into Katze's back.

"Mine," there was triumph in this barely intelligible word.

Katze's gaze fell on the tag he wore on his wrist. Yes, Raoul, apparently yours. He closed his eyes and fell asleep.

Epilogue

The first thing that struck Raoul when he entered Iason's office was the expression on his friend's face. The Syndicate boss sat – his chair half turned away from the desk, staring into space, unblinking. On his way here Raoul had heard that Iason had been called for a private audience in Jupiter Tower earlier that day. And now, looking at him, he knew that something was very wrong.

"Has there been any trouble?" he asked, coming up to the desk.

"No, not really," came the calm reply.

"It's very seldom that you've got such a concerned look on your face."

This time he got no answer. Iason didn't even look at him.

"You were called out by Jupiter," he tried again.

Iason only frowned.

Raoul sat on the edge of the desk and stared at the other Blondie.

He'd come here because they needed to talk. The remains of Kano's case still weighed over them and had to be worked out quickly. And then there was Katze and a little fact that by making his offer to the redhead, Iason had actually broken their deal. Raoul didn't find himself very angry about it – Katze's decision had washed away most of his would-be anger before it could even appear, but he was still determined to demand some explanation.

However, Iason didn't seem in a condition for any talk at all.

Raoul studied the beautiful face that at the moment seemed so distant. As if Iason wasn't here at all. What is it Iason? What is wrong? Is it something about Riki? He couldn't imagine any other thing that could shake his friend so much as to evoke such a reaction.

But he didn't ask. He knew that if Iason wanted to tell him, he would have been doing so already. Still, he needed to say something.

"It's between us so I'll come right out and say it," he started. He hoped that his words would at least distantly hit the point. "Rule breaking, in its own way, should have its tacit rules. Unless you start facing facts, you'll get everyone's back up. No one's going to trust you anymore."

"You mean keeping Riki in Apatia?" Iason asked flatly.

"When a Syndicate boss looses charisma, that's the end. A scandal with a pet, a mongrel pet, is the lowest of the low."

How about a scandal with a furniture? – he mentally sneered at himself. He half expected that very comment from Iason. Instead he heard:

"He said that too. That the name, Iason Mink, would be blemished."

Raoul sighed. So he was right. Iason was too far gone to even think about salvation.

What can I do for you, Iason? How can I help?

"Iason. Don't forget this," he heard himself saying. "I flatly refuse to be the one to tamper with your mind."

Surprise filled him even before those words had time to die out. Would he indeed? Would he dare to oppose Jupiter in the face of a direct order? After all he'd been through lately... Katze, his own sins and failures... would he? Hell, yes.

After all, we are partners in crime now, Iason.

Iason closed his eyes and breathed deeply. He said nothing but seemed to relax. Raoul stayed still, leaning against the desk, eyes turned away from the other Blondie. They sat like that for a long time, comfortable with their silence.

The End – to be continued in Delivery


On Hire – chapter 7 <<

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start