Walk forward, into the world

by Ainzfern

19

Sipping from a steaming mug of coffee, Riki stood on the balcony of the Eos Tower penthouse and watched as the sun rose slowly over the horizon. There had been a cool change in the night, and in spite of the warm jacket that he was wearing over his sweater, he could still feel the chill seeping in.

But, he was happy enough to stay out here for now. The sunrise, as seen from the penthouse, was worth putting up with a little cold air.

He smiled, thinking of Iason, still currently slumbering quietly under the soft down-filled covers of their bed, his pale hair spread out across the pillow. Normally, Riki would still be right beside him now, wallowing in the heavenly warmth of that powerful body, but he was expecting an interstellar audio-visual uplink from Chey Neeson today and the time difference between their locations meant that he had to be up at this hour to receive it.

Ah well... Riki grinned into his coffee mug. There would be other mornings, other 'wallowing' to be enjoyed.

"Riki?" Dane's light voice called softly from the sliding glass doorway leading back into the main room of the penthouse.

Turning, Riki grinned at the robe-wrapped Furniture. "Hey, Dane. Good morning." He hefted his mug. "Nice coffee."

"You're welcome," Dane smiled slightly. "Chey Neeson's uplink has just connected at Iason's desk. I told him you were on your way."

"Cool." Walking swiftly back into the main room, Riki clapped Dane's shoulder on the way past. "Thanks, man."

"It's fine," Dane tightened his robe against the chill air seeping in through the open door. "I'm going to get dressed before Master Iason wakes up, then I'll get you some breakfast."

Nodding, Riki suppressed the urge to tell the young man, yet again, that he didn't have to do that shit for him. It seemed to make no difference, however. As friendly as he and Dane had now become, there was a part of the young Furniture that just couldn't seem to help treating Riki like some kind of honorary superior.

He'd have to work on that a little more, he mused as he slid into Iason's deep leather chair and smiled into the video screen. "Good morning, Chey," he greeted the handsome, square jawed man in the grainy image warmly.

Chey's amused chuckle was clearly audible over the link. "Ah... Good afternoon, Riki," he replied whimsically. "Not too early for you, is it?" He grimaced apologetically, "I really couldn't set our call-in any further back. I have a sitting with the senate in about half an hour that I simply couldn't absent myself from."

"No, it's fine," Riki leaned forward, his elbows on the edge of the desk. "So... you got the lists?"

"I did," Chey's smile widened in approval. "Four thousand, seven hundred and thirty-eight at the final count. Very impressive."

"Thank you. Although I think that luck must have really been on my side when I met with the Ceres-Edge community leaders." Riki grinned suddenly. "Of course, the limousines that I borrowed from Katze to collect them for our meeting might have had something to do with it."

Chey shook his head, looking fondly at Riki. "Actually, young man, I believe you are doing yourself a discredit there. From what Iason told me, your performance during that meeting was nothing short of outstanding. 'Charismatic', I think, was how he described it."

Riki's eyes narrowed slightly. "And when did you speak with Iason?"

"Yesterday," Chey's expression was artfully bland.

"Sneak," Riki shot back amiably enough. "You just couldn't wait, could you?"

"My secret is out. I'm an impatient wretch."

"Okay." Growing serious again, Riki stared into the eyes of the image in the screen. "So you've got the numbers... how is this thing going to work from here?"

"It will be facilitated by a series of transports that I have arranged, with some assistance from my government, of course," Chey winked at him. "Each ship will comfortably hold four hundred people and, of course, bringing them to Hepstra in sections will make it far easier to process them all through the recruitment and induction training."

Riki nodded. "That sounds fine, Chey." He paused the, a prior thought rising in his mind once more. "There is one more detail that I wanted to cover with you before the first transport arrives."

"Oh?"

"Yeah," Riki wet his lips and pulled in a deep breath. "It's important, vital even, that the initial transport contains equal numbers of both ex-Pets and Ceres residents, and that this keeps going until all the ex-Pets are transported."

"Ah..." Chey's face smoothed out in comprehension. "I think I can see where you're going with this, Riki."

"You probably can," Riki replied knowingly. "Equal status. No particular caste was first. Everyone in the same boat together. And keep them mixed together on Hepstra, too, Chey. Make them learn with each other, work with each other. Even the housing. Mix it up. Don't let them break into factions or you could end up having problems."

"Gangs?"

"It's possible." Riki shrugged sadly. "I guess its human nature, really. People cling to what they know. The thing is, they're going to Hepstra because they want a new start. So... make them build one."

"I really like the way you think, young man," Chey said softly, almost to himself. "Very well," he lifted his chin slightly. "Your excellent advice is hereby noted."

Riki paused for a moment, meeting Chey's shrewd eyes with an almost fretful expression on his face. "They're going to be okay, aren't they?"

"You can rest assured, Riki, they will be fine," Chey told him sincerely. "I will personally see to it. Besides, as the founding citizens of the federation government's newest colony, they're going to do quite well for themselves." Chey broke off for a moment, his expression softening slightly. "You've done a good thing for these people, Riki, and you've achieved a most satisfactory outcome for me. I hope you won't object if I send other project opportunities your way in the future. You seem to have quite a gift for strategic planning."

Oddly flattered, Riki nodded his acceptance. "I don't see a problem with that."

"Good."

"Will you be here for the first launch, Chey?" Riki asked then. "Is it even possible with your schedule?"

Chey smiled again. "Actually, I'll be coming in with the transport ship. I made arrangements with the senate some days ago. Two days from now, I'll be there on Amoi with you to observe the initial phase in person."

"I'm glad, Chey," Riki released a soft sigh of relief. "This whole thing happened because of your colonization project. I figure it's only right that you get to see it pay off."

"Oh, it might have started because of the project, but it was you who made it work." Chey corrected him gently. He glanced to one side for a moment and nodded at someone off-screen. "Sadly, I must leave you at this juncture. I need to prepare for my senate session."

"No problem."

"I'll see you the day after tomorrow, Riki," Chey said by way of farewell. "Pass on my regards to Iason. Tell him I'm looking forward to seeing him again."

"I will."

Chey nodded one final time and disconnected the link. Sitting pensively in Iason's chair, Riki stared at the blank screen for some time, before slowly rising and padding back into the kitchen for a fresh cup of coffee.




"Riki?" Iason's quiet silken tone cut the preoccupied silence that had been literally covering the dining table along with their light lunch.

"Hmm?" Riki blinked and looked up from his contemplation of his plate.

Setting aside his fork, Iason leaned forward slightly. "I've been watching you push your food around your plate for the last fifteen minutes and, in within that time, I don't think I've seen you take more than two bites. Is it not to your liking?"

Riki grimaced and shook his head. "Sorry Iason." He glanced down at his food. "It's fine. Actually it's good. Dane's cooking always is."

"So, what is worrying you?"

"Nothing's worrying me, as such," Riki also laid his fork to one side. "It's just... the first transport to Hepstra takes off the day after tomorrow, and I... I guess I'm a little wound up over it."

Iason felt his brow smooth out in understanding. He rose to his feet, rounding the table to take Riki's arm in a gentle but firm grip. "Come," he murmured, pulling Riki to his feet. "Come and sit with me."

Leading the younger man over to the sofa in the main room of the penthouse, Iason pressed him to sit and sank down gracefully beside him, his pale eyes intense as he looked into Riki's eyes. "Share your thoughts, Riki," he urged softly.

Riki shrugged unhappily. "I don't know, Iason. I know that I've covered all the bases. Everything is arranged. I just... I guess I won't be really happy until it's all gone off without a hitch."

"I see." Iason smiled and shook his head.

His lover really was a most perplexing creature at times, he couldn't help thinking. So willing to acknowledge the exemplary attributes of other people and yet so stubbornly ignorant of his own.

Obviously seeing the look, Riki's eyes narrowed dangerously. "Are you laughing at me, Iason?" he asked, his tone deadly soft.

"No. No I am not," Iason assured him. "But I am wondering why you continue to put so much pressure upon yourself. You may have had some assistance in this venture, Riki, but the vast majority of the task was handled by you, alone. And you have done a most commendable job. The transport will come... just as arranged. Your workforce will arrive on Hepstra and will do well in their new lives. You know this. In your heart, you know this. So have faith in yourself, Riki, and in the things that you have achieved."

Riki stared at him for a long time, his eyes shimmering wetly, before he swallowed hard and composed himself. "Thank you, Iason," he whispered, swiping one hand roughly across his eyes and sniffling softly. "Thank you."

"Do you feel better?"

With a slightly shaky grin, Riki nodded. "Yeah. Actually I do. You have a knack for that, Iason, I'll give you that much."

Iason inclined his head graciously, his beautiful eyes sparkling with pleasure.

Sobering slightly as he sat back a little, Iason pondered for a moment on an idea of his own that had been forming for some time. "Riki?"

"Yeah?"

"Seeing as we have some time together, there is something that I would like your opinion on."

"Sure." Riki looked intensely at him. "What's on your mind?"

"Pets, as a matter of fact," Iason replied.

Riki raised a quizzical brow at him. "You can't have one."

"Amusing," Iason dead-panned back. "In all seriousness, I have been considering introducing a regulatory compliance around the ownership and treatment of Pets."

"Oh, now this is interesting," Riki sat forward, his eyes widening. "Tell me more."

"It's only formative at the moment," Iason went on, "but I want to implement some new laws. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I want outlaw Pet ownership," his brow creased for a moment. "I honestly think that the Elite of Amoi would revolt if that were to happen. Besides, it has been a long-standing cultural element of our race to have them."

"But..?"

"But," Iason smiled slightly. "I believe the time has come to enforce a better standard of treatment; for the Elites to agree to treat their Pets with a higher value than most of them do right now. I want to limit the number of Pets that can be purchased, and completely remove an owner's right to physically harm a Pet for entertainment. I also want to make the Elite responsible for ensuring that their Pets are not just longer dumped out onto the streets of Midas simply because they no longer attract their owner's voyeuristic attention."

"How would you go about doing that?"

"In simple terms," Iason replied, feeling his jaw set firmly. "Any Elite or wealthy-enough Midas citizen who wishes to own a Pet will need to contractually agree that their Pet will be placed into an acceptable situation in the event that they wish to get rid of him or her. Either they must ensure that their ex-Pet has some manner of gainful employment and a minimum standard of living quarters... or they must arrange to pension them off with their own funds, supporting them until such times as they become self sufficient."

"Whoa..." Riki stared at him wide-eyed. "Well I like the idea. You realize, of course, this kind of regulation will have a pretty big impact on the number of Pet's being bred, don't you?"

"I do." Iason nodded, almost serenely. "In fact, I would foresee a significant reduction in output as a direct result of this."

"Uh..." Riki made an apologetic little face. "Have you mentioned this to Raoul Am, yet?" He shrugged lightly. "I mean, creating perfect Pets for distribution is his line, isn't it?"

"This is true," Iason nodded at him. "However, that is not Raoul's only profitable focus; and I have very good, very personal, reasons for believing that the amniotic tanks he designed could be used quite lucratively in another market entirely." He watched, feeling pleased approval rising in him as Riki's eyes widened in comprehension.

"Medical purposes, right?" Riki guessed, "I mean the tanks healed us, didn't they?"

"Correct," Iason's lips curved up at the corners. "I also happen to believe that the idea of being known as the foremost developer and supplier of state-of-the-art medical facilities across the Amoian and federation territories is one that would very much appeal to Raoul."

"I'll say," Riki chuckled, "God, the guy might even break tradition and risk a smile."

"Raoul smiles, Riki," Iason chided him gently.

"When?"

"When he feels like it," Iason shot back blandly.

Snorting with amusement, Riki sat back, his expression indicating that his previous bout of anxiety had all but faded away. Which was pleasing, Iason thought to himself. He much preferred to see Riki in lighter spirits. His tempestuous little mongrel had experienced far too much worry in his young life.

"Okay," Riki sat back against the corner of the sofa, getting more comfortable, "So, when are you planning to drop this one on your Syndicate buddies?"

"Not for while yet, I feel," Iason tilted his head thoughtfully. "I want to wait until the Companion legislation is fully embedded before I move towards a second fundamental reform."

"Speaking of that," Riki's eyes were full if interest, "have there been any other Elites besides you who've upgraded their Pets to Companion status yet?"

"Actually, yes," Iason sighed softly. "Only one or two, thus far... which is a little disappointing, I will confess."

"Oh?"

Iason smiled slightly. "I had held strong suspicions about a number of my colleagues for some time. But it appears that they might take a little longer to actually work up the intestinal fortitude to go through with the option."

"Katze was right," Riki murmured, almost to himself.

Looking at him closely, Iason raised an enquiring brow. "Right about what?"

"Change," Riki's face was slightly sad, but tranquil enough for all of that. "Even a good change. It takes time to come."

"But it does come, eventually. And that is what we must hold on to."



Epilogue

Standing in front of the huge plate-glass windows that dominated one side of the Midas spaceport terminal, Riki smiled tightly when he felt Iason's hands slide over his shoulders, their warmth and strength soothing to him, even in spite of the turmoil currently roiling around in his gut.

This was it. The first transport to Hepstra would be taking off in a little less than ten minutes time.

Peripherally, he saw Chey Neeson move into place beside them, his eyes also fixed upon the launch area, where the huge streamlined federation-class transport vessel was firing up its secondary engines in preparation for the launch. Behind them, he could hear Katze's and Raoul's voices, engaged in quiet conversation as they, too, waited for this historic moment to come to pass.

There were no crowds gathered to cheer the event, no fanfares or honor guards. It was a quiet, almost private, affair. But it was significant, Riki knew. From such small beginnings great change could grow.

He smiled slightly, thinking about the conversation he'd had with Iason only a couple of days ago.

Certainly this particular moment was under the Elite's radar right now, he mused as he watched the transport vessel slowly approaching the start of its designated runway; but once Iason finally tabled his latest submission to the Syndicate, the Elites of Amoi would have no choice but to realize that their world was changing.

For Iason's sake, he desperately hoped that the majority of them would see what a blessing that was...

Chey had joined them only a moment ago, having spent nearly two hours down in the loading area, working his way through the first group of soon-to-be Amoi expatriates, accompanied by Enif, talking to ex-Pets and Ceres residents alike as they waited to board the ship, assuring them that all would be well. Promising them, as he had promised Riki, that he would personally see to their well-being as they established the latest lucrative mining colony for his government.

Even through the thick reinforced plates of the terminal windows, the deep boom of the thrusters gearing up to full power was clearly audible. Without talking, the small group standing behind the protective plexi-glass watched as the great vessel accelerated down the runway, gaining speed rapidly and gracefully lifting off into the clear skies of Amoi.

Chey cleared his throat as he turned to Riki, smiling. "Well, young man," he extended his hand, his grin widening as Riki shook it firmly. "My congratulations to you on a difficult job well done."

"Thank you, Chey," For some reason, Riki's own throat seemed rather tight.

"I hope you realize, Riki," Chey's face grew very serious, but his shrewd eyes were kind as he looked down into Riki's face, "you've given those people more than just a new employment opportunity. You've given them a chance to walk forward, into their own world with their heads held high. That's really..." Chey trailed off for a moment, actual wonder in his face. "That's really rather extraordinary," he finished softly.

Swallowing hard past the lump in his throat, Riki smiled at him.

"Well!" Chey gave a little jolt and patted his coat pockets in a busy little gesture. "I'm afraid I can't stay. If I'm going to beat the transport to Hepstra, I'll need to hop on board of my own ship very quickly. Iason..?" he extended his hand to the Blondie beside Riki, "it was good to see you again."

"Indeed," Iason clasped Chey's hand warmly. "Perhaps next time you visit, you might not be so rushed."

"I hope so," Chey nodded again at them both, and then turned towards Raoul and Katze, warmly passing his farewells with them, too.

Iason sighed softly, once more sliding his hands over Riki's shoulder's, even as the younger man turned to gaze out the window again, staring up at the empty area of the sky where the first federation transport had just disappeared from view into the upper atmosphere. Iason gently turned Riki to face him, his hands smoothing over his upper arms. He smiled, his pale blue eyes warm and affection filled, even though his flawless face held its usual expression of regal composure.

"And so..." Iason said, satisfaction in his velvet voice, "it is done."

Riki nodded, swallowing hard. "Yeah."

"I must confess, I'm rather interested to see what you will come up with next," Iason's beautiful eyes flashed with genuine amusement.

Tickled by that wicked sparkle, Riki chuckled softly. "Who knows? A public forum to force you Elites to cut your hair short, maybe?"

Iason arched an elegant brow at him. "I can only imagine the screams of our anguish would echo across the world," he muttered dryly.

Riki laughed again, softly, before falling serious once more. He looked up at Iason, feeling deep emotion filling him. This man, who had once been his tormentor and who, through the quirks of fate and luck and destiny, had now become his everything... was the one man whom he would stand faithfully beside for the rest of his life.

Riki smiled up at him.

Fondly, Iason returned his smile. "Are you ready to go home?"

Home... Riki nodded and smoothed one hand across Iason's broad chest, petting him gently. Only a few years ago he would have freely admitted that he had no real idea what the concept of 'home' actually meant. From the dark and dangerous streets of Ceres' inner slums, to the graceful soaring spire of Eos Tower, Riki had always felt torn; always felt as though he had one foot in each place and that neither was where standing where it truly belonged.

But now he knew. Without a doubt. Stepping forward slightly, he slid his arms around Iason's body and held tight for a moment, smiling against a powerful shoulder when he felt Iason return the embrace with gentle intensity.

He belonged wherever this man was.

"Yes, Iason," he answered, feeling wholly content at last. "I'm ready to go home."

The End


Walk forward... – chapters 16-18 <<

Story Index

 

 

 

Close the window to go back, click here to skip to the Start